Select to view content in your preferred language

Add button to enable Labels in Label Class window

05-21-2024 12:33 AM
Labels (1)
RTPL_AU
Occasional Contributor III

Feature parity with ArcMap request:

Add a button or tickbox in the Label Class window to enable labels for the selected layer.  
When you add a new layer, do all the things and then realise you have to do another right click - left click to enable the labels it feels inefficient. 

I have the Label Class window open most of the time so I don't often right click the layer in Contents to get to the  Labelling Properties. 

This will go some way to offset the extra clicks required in Pro to add and make default a FGDB.....

ArcMap:

RTPL_AU_0-1716276528585.png

Pro - lots of open space to add it in:

RTPL_AU_1-1716276648988.png

6 Comments
WendyHarrison

When working with multiple label classes the Layer Properties dialog required a few more clicks.  Moving between layers required even more clicks

2024-05-21_10-54-58.gif

In ArcGIS Pro we have the List by Labeling view of the Contents pane.  It lists out all label classes and allows you to change between them to edit the properties on the Label Class pane.  Checking them on turns on labeling at the layer level and the label class level

WendyHarrison_0-1716314265280.png

RTPL_AU

@WendyHarrison  Correct. But in the case of a very simple workflow of loading a new layer then going to the already open Label Class window to setup the label we now need additional clicks & mouse moves to enable labels compared to ArcMap.

With multiple classes in Pro if you add the 'enable label' tickbox into the open space of the Label Class window you will not need the additional clicks & mouse movements to go to the Labelling tab and then back to the regular Contents while working on your labels in the Label Class window. 

RTPL_AU

@WendyHarrison  The Labelling pane is not available when in a Layout - where I do most of my labelling tweaks to see how things will really look.

Another regression from ArcMap is the disconnect between the map & layout windows - one of the best things of ArcMap compared to many other tools such as MapInfo; but that is another good idea.....

WendyHarrison

@RTPL_AU when you activate the map frame on the layout you will have access to the List by Labeling view of the Contents pane.

The Labeling ribbon and the List by Labeling view of the Contents pane keep the controls for turning on labels at the layer level and the label class level together.

Adding a check box to the Label Class pane would only turn on the labeling for the label class.  Turning on the labels for the layer would still be done on the Labeling ribbon, the context menu for the layer in the Contents pane, or the List by Labeling view of the Contents pane.

RTPL_AU

@WendyHarrison  Good points but none negate the utility of having an enable/disable function at the location where you manage all the class settings.

"when you activate the map frame on the layout " is an unnecessary step for a simple layer in a simple map where you just want to enable/disable a class to see the impact and then move on to something else without requiring two long mouse travels and two extra clicks.

"Adding a check box to the Label Class pane would only turn on the labeling for the label class" 
Yes. That is the idea.

A key concept I would like to see in Pro is less variability in the UI based on context - Having a tool or function on hand in a set location that requires the minimum number of clicks or mouse movement increases efficiency and benefits from muscle memory. This is one of those functions.

WendyHarrison

we've got all the info we need for this.  will now see the user communities thoughts on it and how many kudos it brings in