Select to view content in your preferred language

Add black & white option to Color Vision Simulator

02-09-2024 10:35 AM
Labels (1)
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

Hello there. The built in Color Vision Simulator introduced in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 is a wonderful feature. We'd love to see it expanded with an additional black and white option. This would have multiple benefits for map designers, including accessibility checks for achromatopsia, general contrast checking on colors, and previewing what a color map would look like if it happened to be photocopied by somebody (for example: in emergency management, field teams sometimes want to take paper maps into areas with no power or service), which would encourage or inspire the use of symbology that is not entirely color dependent. Thanks!

6 Comments
JenFrazer_USFS_NR-GISS-IRIN

I work for the USDA Forest Service. This is a wonderful idea!!!!

MErikReedAugusta

As someone who frequently works with interlocking symbologies that rely on both shape and color simultaneously, I worry about this sort of thing all the time.  I'd love to be able to easily check this on the fly like I can with the colorblindness options.

AllenDailey1

I think this is a great idea!  I can see a variety of use cases for it.

AlfredBaldenweck

Building off of this excellent idea, I'd love to have a Black and White simulator baked into the Colorblind Simulators.

Frequently we have to develop maps in greyscale, and it'd be great to be able to simulate it rather than building two separate maps or sets of layers to have one in color and one in greyscale.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Under Consideration

rsun_TQB

It is a must have feature for not just "symbology" but should be applied to all ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise solutions such as Field Maps and Survey123 for built-in accessibilities features. Good post!