What is the appropriate workflow for shifting the position of an existing parcel in the fabric?

10-13-2022 11:34 AM
Labels (1)
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I have looked everywhere and can't find what I am looking for, most likely because I'm not searching the right terms. I just migrated the parcel fabric this week, so I am still figuring out how the best practices. Here is my problem. 

I received a resurvey of 3 existing parcels that had outdated linework. Nothing was changing as far as adding or merging parcels. Just needed to update the linework to better reflect reality. I shrank the parcels to seeds and deleted the interior lines. I then sketched in the new parcels. The new boundary overlaps an existing parcel. The problem is that that parcel is correct in terms of it's acreage. It just needs to be shifted westward. Here is a screenshot attempting to illustrate the issue. 

MatthewBeal_0-1665685933609.png

I need to shift that parcel westward while preserving the same area, most importantly, the little cutout for the driveway. What is the best way to accomplish this?

19 Replies
Erika_ess
Esri Contributor

Hello,

Have you tried using the Transforming Parcels toolbar? If so, I'm wondering if utilizing the Spatial Adjustment function in an editing environment would work. 

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I have tried the tranform parcels tool. When I do that, it shifts the polygon but not the lines and points. So I'm left with a confusing mass of lines that I'm not really sure what to do with. Moreover, when I "Build" the lines for the parcel in its new position, it doesn't do anything. I would think it would have created new lines and points for the new western boundary, but it doesn't appear to. 

Edit: I should also have clarified. I am using the fabric in ArcGIS Pro. Not ArcMap.

0 Kudos
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor II

The link you posted for Transforming Parcels toolbar is to the ArcMap documentation - was this intentional? And does that toolbar exist in Pro?

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

It does. 

Transform Features

0 Kudos
Erika_ess
Esri Contributor

There are parcel tools in the geoprocessing toolbox on ArcGIS Pro. Two of the tools are for Alignment@MatthewBeal , if you're working in ArcGIS Pro, maybe the alignment option may work.

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I've tried alignment as well. It snaps the lines together but also doesn't shift the rest of the parcel. I need to move the parcel and all of its linework without modifying it's shape at all. 

0 Kudos
Erika_ess
Esri Contributor

Do you have topology disabled? If topology is enabled, that could be the reason why it's snapping to the line as opposed to moving the entire parcel. 

"You may need to disable topology in the map when moving, rotating, and aligning parcels. You can disable and enable topology by clicking the Topology drop-down list in the Manage Edits group on the Edit tab. Choose No Topology or the parcel fabric geodatabase topology."

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I think the core of my problem comes around the confusion on what to do with the lines and point layers in this scenario. I did as you suggested and cut off the topology, and that works. It allows me to move the parcel without adjusting it's shape, but I'm left with all of the original lines and points in the original position. Is the best practice to move each one of those individually? In some cases that could be dozens of lines and points, so I'm thinking I must be missing a step. Is there a way to have the lines and points regenerated after moving the parcel? 

0 Kudos
Erika_ess
Esri Contributor

When you turn the topology back on, are you able to create a rule to have the original lines and points snap to the new location, validate the topology, and fix the errors that way?

0 Kudos