Strange Copy Lines To behavior?

Jump to solution
06-04-2021 02:12 PM
Labels (1)
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm trying to utilize the Copy To Lines tool to generate my parcel lines from a polygon. I can't find anything in the documentation that would describe what went wrong. 

These are my polygons.

1.png

Copy Lines To dialog box. 

2.png

Final result? There are parcel seeds, but not all of the lines generated. No error messages or anything.

3.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Copy Lines To makes its best guess on what a parcel's corresponding lines are, and it's based on the topological relationship between a parcel and a line. If a polygon boundary and a line feature are truly coincident, it should pick them up. Sometimes, it may even catch lines that you don't think it should have.

But if a line feature is off by more than your topology's cluster tolerance, it's going to treat it as separate, even if the two were created by the same record.

I would undo the copy lines, then perform a quick alignment between the polygon and the lines that are being missed, just to be 100% certain that everything is well-aligned. If the problem persists after aligning everything, you may have a bigger problem. But in my experience, this problem is almost always an issue of slight mis-alignment.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Copy Lines To makes its best guess on what a parcel's corresponding lines are, and it's based on the topological relationship between a parcel and a line. If a polygon boundary and a line feature are truly coincident, it should pick them up. Sometimes, it may even catch lines that you don't think it should have.

But if a line feature is off by more than your topology's cluster tolerance, it's going to treat it as separate, even if the two were created by the same record.

I would undo the copy lines, then perform a quick alignment between the polygon and the lines that are being missed, just to be 100% certain that everything is well-aligned. If the problem persists after aligning everything, you may have a bigger problem. But in my experience, this problem is almost always an issue of slight mis-alignment.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
anna_garrett

That appears to have solved my problem! You're the best.

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@anna_garrett You are always welcome to open a technical support case so we can have a look in your data.

The version of ArcGIS Pro you are using might also influence the results. 

And we should have better tools to identify gaps and overlaps in the next release!

0 Kudos
Syvertson

I have had this problem in the past.  I am pretty sure it was because some of the lines that make up the parcel are not assigned to the record the parcel is in.  Be sure to highlight all the parcel lines, and then select the "gear" icon to the right of the record, and select "assign selection to record."  Then try again.  I think you will find this works.  

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Copy Lines To picks up the same lines that the "Parcel Features" button does, and is not based on the assigned record.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
anna_garrett

That's the problem - the parcels in the first screenshot are all in the same record. I was working with the "Show Only Active" record filter applied.