Unable to add Shapefile in zipped format

12-16-2011 12:51 AM
FaisalAziz
New Contributor
I am trying to add a point theme shapefile after compressed it into a zip format in Map viewer but everytime it gives an error "Unable to import this shapefile". if I add the file in csv format then it gives an error "File does not seem to contain fields with point coordinates".
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There may be a problem with your zipped shapefile. Have you included all the necessary files in the zipped file? Shapefiles have many auxiliary files. Also, to import a CSV, you need to have the x,y locations of the points in the file as well. We look for field names like lat, long, x, y...

If these don't help, upload your zip file here and we can take a look at it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Fazkan and Mike,
I'm having the same problem adding a simple zipped point file. It's a shp with about 100 features. I've zipped all the files: dbf, sbx. sbn, prj etc and also tried with just shp, sbx, dbf, prj. Same "unable to import" error both times. I use the old winzip format .zip not zipx.

The shp file was merged and exported out of file GDB feature classes. Does that matter?

Thanks,
Jim
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jim,

Can you share your file here so we can try it out?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChrisBowles
New Contributor
Hi There,

I'm having a similar problem to those above.  I've attached a zipped sample of the points shapefiles I'm trying to upload.  Also using Winzip.  I've successfully loaded polygon shapefiles in this way, so I don't think there's an issue with my configuration.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Chris,

Your shapfile is missing its prj file.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
Stefanvan_der_Hoorn
New Contributor II
Hi there,

I am also having a similar problem. I keep receiving the error: unable to import the shapefile.
I have tried various zipped shapefiles. I have adjusted the number of rows (which was more than 1000), to less then 1000.
I tried point, lines and polygins, but none is working.

Attached you find a zipped file with points.

Hope someone can help me.

Kind regards,
Stefan
0 Kudos
ChrisBowles
New Contributor
Ah...so it is.  Thanks Mike.

Jim,

Can you share your file here so we can try it out?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Stefan

The error message I can see is

"The operation was attempted on an empty geometry."

is it possible that the geometry for one of the features is bad? However, I am able to open this shapefile in ArcMap. We'll have to take a closer look.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Stefan,

It seems like the coordinates in the shapefile don't match the expected coordinates of the spatial reference as defined in the PRJ file.

When I open this shapefile in ArcGIS Desktop, I get an error "One or more layers has an extent that is not consistent with the associated spatial reference information.

In looking at the coordinates inside the shapefile, here's a sample:

[92062.2500000003, 436080.33999999997] , [92063.75000000001, 436080.33999999997] , [92063.75000000001, 436078.84000000026]

This is the spatial reference in the PRJ file

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4326/

Coordinate values should be between -180.0000, -90.0000, 180.0000, 90.0000

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos