Tile package publishing in AGOL - size limit?

Jump to solution
03-24-2015 09:28 AM
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, is there a size limit for publishing tile packages previously uploaded (via the 'Share package' geoprocessing tool) to AGOL?

My progress has stopped at "Tiles - 58.36% of the tiles are available" and clicking 'manage' to get more details gives me..

Total: - 875,355 published tiles - 1,500,002 total tiles - 58.36% published - 927.42MB storage used

.. selecting one of the incomplete scales and selecting 'publish tiles' changes the status to say "Tile publishing in progress...", AGOL thinks about it for a while, then it goes back to saying "Current Status" without actually publishing any more tiles.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JssrRR
by
Occasional Contributor II

Pete,

We had the same problem, ESRI support told us that it is a bug reported in 10.3, but they have a work around, re-creating the tile package, with full extent in ArcMap, worked for us and we could get all the tiles to publish, it is not the size ( tile package was 2GB and it worked for us).

Here is the link: http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA4NTI0MQ==

BUG-000085241 - Publishing tiles does not complete in ArcGIS Onlin..

Synopsis

Publishing tiles does not complete in ArcGIS Online. This may be due to incorrect extents, however this warning is never provided to the user.

Alternate Solution

In some cases, these workarounds help:

- In ArcMap, click Full Extent before creating the tile package.

OR, if the tile package cannot be recreated:

(1) Download the tile package.
(2) Use 7-Zip to right-click on the tile-package > Open Archive.
(3) Right-click on mapserver.json in servicedescriptions\mapserver and click Edit.
(4) Change fullExtent to equal initialExtent and geoFullExtent to equal geoInitialExtent.
(5) Save and close. When prompted, update the Archive.
(6) Use Add Item in ArcGIS Online to add the tile package again (ensure the original is deleted).
(7) Attempt to create the tiles.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
PeteCrosier

Turns out that the publishing process is stopping when the size of the tiles reaches the size of the .tpk file uploaded to AGOL (927MB) - this has to be a bug?

0 Kudos
JssrRR
by

Pete,

We had the same problem, ESRI support told us that it is a bug reported in 10.3, but they have a work around, re-creating the tile package, with full extent in ArcMap, worked for us and we could get all the tiles to publish, it is not the size ( tile package was 2GB and it worked for us).

Here is the link: http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA4NTI0MQ==

BUG-000085241 - Publishing tiles does not complete in ArcGIS Onlin..

Synopsis

Publishing tiles does not complete in ArcGIS Online. This may be due to incorrect extents, however this warning is never provided to the user.

Alternate Solution

In some cases, these workarounds help:

- In ArcMap, click Full Extent before creating the tile package.

OR, if the tile package cannot be recreated:

(1) Download the tile package.
(2) Use 7-Zip to right-click on the tile-package > Open Archive.
(3) Right-click on mapserver.json in servicedescriptions\mapserver and click Edit.
(4) Change fullExtent to equal initialExtent and geoFullExtent to equal geoInitialExtent.
(5) Save and close. When prompted, update the Archive.
(6) Use Add Item in ArcGIS Online to add the tile package again (ensure the original is deleted).
(7) Attempt to create the tiles.

PeteCrosier

Thanks! I'll try changing the JSON and see what happens.

0 Kudos
JssrRR
by

We tried that too, wanted to avoid recreating tile package, but once you edit the mapserver json file and then share and publish the tiles, it will work as far as getting all tiles to publish, but you will lose legend and if that is important to you, then I would suggest to re-creating the tile package, following first option:

In ArcMap, click Full Extent before creating the tile package.

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier

Argh this just hit me again and it all came flooding back - I don't want to spend a week regenerating tile packages (my intermediate data is long gone) so I'll try some JSON editing. I don't seem to be able to view those bugs, any updates on them please?

0 Kudos
JssrRR
by

Yeah you right, cant see those links anymore, and no updates. Sorry, the tiles I created and published  are working fine in my application, so have I not had need to do this again since then.

But I did find a faster way to create and publish tiles following these steps:

1. Use full extent in ArcMap

2. Use Share as Tile package service, by enabling ArcGIS Runtime Tools from Customize -> ArcMap Options (under sharing tab) and then using the Share Tile Package wizard. The tile package was saved locally on the C drive.

3. Tile package is then uploaded to My Content on AGOL, using Share Package Tool.

4. After the tile package was uploaded and shared on My Content and it was published as tile layer.

Create Map Tile Package tool was taking over 36 hours to create tiles, where as following these steps,

it took less than ten hours and all the tiles published faster on AGOL ,  preserved legend and worked fine in JavaScript application.

This blog by :Yovav Zohar​ explains it better

Create Cache and TPK without ArcGIS for Server - Workflows for Desktop users

PeteCrosier

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

I ran into this issue today, and thankfully I was trying to publish a tile package so I wasn't using credits every time I would try again with different settings.  My problem was the mxd I used from one of the Local Government templates had the customized full extent set to Naperville.  To fix my issue I zoomed to the extent of my data and changed the "Other" option and clicked on the Specify Extent button and chose "Current Visible Extent".

0 Kudos
MelanieRosenberg2

Hello I am having this EXACT bug issue.  What I need to know is what is the best way to do this for v10.2.2 while using minimal credits? If I have to republish my tiles because of a bug, is there a way to get those credits back?

0 Kudos