Select to view content in your preferred language

Publish WMS, TMS, or XYZ layer for iHunter app

11-14-2022 11:36 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I use the map functionality in the iHunter app (Android, iOS, and web):

In iHunter, we can add custom layers by entering a service URL. For example, I can successfully add this WMS URL to iHunter: 
https://maps.geogratis.gc.ca/wms/CBMT?service=wms&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities

Bud_0-1668452246793.png

That GeoGratis WMS URL works as a quick test; the tiles show up in the map as expected. But what I really want is to do is add a custom raster map to iHunter. This is the map: Ontario Geological Survey Map 2499 Marble Lake (page 3).

Question:

How can I publicly serve up a georeferenced version of that map/image as a WMS, TMS, or XYZ service/URL — for personal use in iHunter?

As far as I can tell, AGOL doesn't directly support sharing a WMS URL:

And while ArcGIS Server does seem to directly support WMS (ArcGIS Server - WMS services), ArcGIS Server isn't available for personal use or as a trial; it's only available for commercial use for tens of thousands of dollars. And would require a high level of expertise to set up. So I don't think that helps me.

If I've understood correctly that AGOL and ArcGIS Server aren't applicable here, can anyone recommend any alternative products or vendors that would be suitable?

A contact suggested I could:

...tile it with a program like MapTiler, then host the tiled imagery on a webserver (not just a file sharing service) in XYZ format which can also be imported. You would need to have some web hosting with a webserver such as Apache or Nginx running and host the files there.

But that's beyond my skill level. I'm hoping to find a solution that's a bit easier.

Any ideas/insight?

Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AJR
by
Occasional Contributor II

One way would be to share the layer as a map service from your portal site.  You could then publish the portal map to AGOL (i.e. AGOL would just be the interface for accessing your portal map).  There are probably other workarounds as well, but the map service would be quick and easy.

Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I used an ESRI competitor called GISCloud.com. It was surprisingly easy. Unlike AGOL, GISCloud supports WMS directly.

Related: How to create a WMS Service to display a geo-reference image?

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Related:

Add XYZ Tiles Layer(TMS)

IT sounds like XYZ/TMS might be supported after all?

0 Kudos