Nested content folders in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
04-11-2018 06:54 AM
BenjaminHarper
New Contributor III

Any chance users will see nested folder structure in ArcGIS Online content management?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks harperb‌ and xander_bakker

We are releasing some functionality tonight to enable categorizing content for the organization and groups. Although this doesn't address the need to better manage your personal content, the idea that you mentioned is something that we are considering. 

Take a look at content categories when they are available and let us know your feedback, what works and where you still need improvement.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

11 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

At this moment it is not possible to have a nested folder structure in ArcGIS Online. However, you can achieve a look and feel of "nested folders" by implementing gallery apps in your portal. 

Look at he example below of Westerville. Your home page could look like this:

Which allows access at Distribution, Transmission and Generation (you could interpret these as your level 1 folders). Click on Distribution, will open a Minimal Gallery with access to different areas (folders level 2):

Clicking on Operations will open a Minimal Gallery with access to the different information products configured for people that are part of operations in distribution:

So, not a folder structure with nested folders for those that create content on ArcGIS Online, but an elegant way of providing access to relevant information for the end users.

More information can be found here: /blogs/baldy/2017/07/24/beautify-that-homepage-creating-a-unique-look-and-feel 

BenjaminHarper
New Contributor III

This is not answering the question of personal content. We have no problem fashioning ways to streamline content delivery to the end user.

Lets say someone wanted to organize all of the data, layers, maps and apps created for a specific project, but this project was one of many for a department...of which there are many departments. Currently one department folder will have many many types of data for non realated projects, and this can be pages and pages of data.

The current solution does not scale well for individual content management. Nested folders are nothing new, and I see this is possible with other content management/BI platforms like Tableau.

This seems strangely similar to the limitation of ArcGIS Server rest service directory structure. Could there be a link?

XanderBakker

ArcGIS Server allows publishing group layers which translate to a sub folder in the REST folder structure. At this point I think the only thing you can do is vote for the existing idea: Additional Folders/ Sub-Folders in My Content 

0 Kudos
BenjaminHarper
New Contributor III

Not true.

"ArcGIS Server allows publishing group layers which translate to a sub folder in the REST folder structure"

This is not the same thing...group layers of one individual service do not translate to sub folders in a REST folder structure which is comprised of many individual REST services. Anyway you miss the point, and this is about AGOL.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

You are right, my bad. It is the service name that translates into a subfolder of the folder where you publish the service. Te grouplayer translates to an additional layer index.

To go back on-topic, the functionality that you're after dos not exist in AGOL and the idea asking for this was created almost 5 years ago and still has not been implemented (current status is "reviewed"). I think it could be a great addition to AGOL. Did you vote on the idea yet? The more votes an idea receives, the likelier becomes its implementation.

BenjaminHarper
New Contributor III

Yes, thank you for directing me to the ideas page to vote!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks harperb‌ and xander_bakker

We are releasing some functionality tonight to enable categorizing content for the organization and groups. Although this doesn't address the need to better manage your personal content, the idea that you mentioned is something that we are considering. 

Take a look at content categories when they are available and let us know your feedback, what works and where you still need improvement.

-Kelly

SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

This is a great news. We actually discovered that by accident and created our own categories. But now we cannot find any help on how to make things go in the categories.

It seems not to take the tags in account, how is it working?

Fixed it by myself (THank you Josu) Manage content—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

KellyGerrow

Has anyone on this post used content categories to categorize their content? I would be awesome to hear how they are being used  and if there are any tips to share.