Issues with on premise content in Microsoft Edge Browser?

05-03-2018 09:03 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Esri/GeoNet Community, 

We're looking for anyone who may have experienced or may be currently experiencing this same issue. 

When we view any ArcGIS Online application (Map Viewer, Operations Dashboard, WAB) with on premise content (hosted on our internal ArcGIS Server)  using the Microsoft Edge Browser it results in an error displaying the data. In AGOL Map Viewer or WAB it states that "The layer can not be added to the map." In Operations Dashboard the data simply cannot be displayed, and results in an error message "Not Fully Configured". (Please see attached)

We do not have this issue in any other browsers, Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Safari all work without issue.

We have been able to narrow down that this is strictly an internal network issue (everything is accessible off the network) and confirmed that this is not a firewall issue. We have also confimed with IT that our organization has no restrictions set on our Edge Browsers as well. 

One more detail, when using Fiddler this content is viewable and results in no errors or issues. We are aware that Fiddler inserts it's own certificate, but are not sure how we can use this evidence.

We are working closely with our IT department as well, but they are just as puzzled as we are. 

Thank you!

40 Replies
LauraGillespie1
New Contributor II

Hi Katie,

Sure here is my ESRI Case #02129583.  With the notes of "BUG-000096296 : Adding map services to ArcGIS Online fails when using Microsoft Edge browser." , which brings you to this thread.  

My case was closed due to the good workaround of using IE or Chrome.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi All, 

There does appear to be a BUG that was logged for an issue similar to the one we're facing: " #BUG-000096296 Adding map services to ArcGIS Online fails when using Microsoft Edge browser." 

It looks like it was opened in 2016 but was declared 'Not in Current Product Plan' Explanation: "Works fine with latest version.

Unfortunately as we're all experiencing, it's not working in current version.

Just thought I would pass this information on!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have reviewed the cases and the defect. It appears the defect is only reproducible when using services coming from an internal server. Any issues with services that are available externally would not fall under this bug.

I re-opened the bug and re-wrote the synopsis to be the following:

BUG-000096296: Services from internal servers fail to display in the Map Viewer when using Microsoft Edge browser.

After reviewing each of your cases I do think Laura Howell may be hitting this bug. Brian Fausel and Amanda Huber, since your issue is with an externally available application that works fine in Edge outside of the network I agree there is some type network issue going on but it's not related to BUG-000096296.

0 Kudos
MarcyLaViollette
New Contributor III

We are also having this same problem with Edge from inside our network, on AGOL web apps using content from an internal ArcGIS Server (10.2.2) and when we opened a case (#02132731), were told that it was our internal issue.  Thank you for starting this thread!

0 Kudos
JaredSemtner
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue. We have ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 services running through AGOL. Everything external works in all browsers but internal only services work in all browsers except Edge. We can hit the REST services directly in Edge with no issue but they all error out in Edge when loading through a web map. The internal services are secured with a domain trusted certificate.

One thing to note that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that we only have the problem connecting to the services through AGOL when the PC we are using is on the same subnet as the ArcGIS Server. When we connect from a different subnet, it works fine in Edge. This would point to a networking issue in theory but why do we not have this issue in other browsers? Everything is open between the subnets and we only have the problem when talking across the same subnet. It's very strange. 

MikeRoss
New Contributor II

Also having the same issue.  A story map referencing 10.4.1 on-premise services works fine on Edge when viewed from an external connection, but errors when viewed from an internal connection.  Error reads "Something went wrong, the map did not load correctly."

RachelMicander
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue with our Open Data site. The images are all hosted on our servers which works just fine with Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Safari. However, when using Edge, none of the photos or icons show up. We are also having the issue with all of our web applications when dealing with custom images and icons hosted on our servers. So far, all our services (hosed on ArcServer 10.3) are showing up correctly. Example of the Open Data site below:

LauraMalkin
New Contributor III

Hi All

Just after an update on the future plan for this issue.

Only just come across the issue. We publish a number of embedded AGOL maps using internal content on our external website, but the internal content doesn't display. Works fine in IE and Chrome.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Interesting news...  

PC: Simon Morgan