How to Rename a Hosted Tile Layer?

Jump to solution
04-27-2018 07:36 AM
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

How can an ArcGIS Online hosted tile layer be renamed?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

From the image it looks like the part you want to rename is actually the layer in the tile package. I believe you would have to change the name of the layer in ArcMap or Pro before you created the tile package.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How did you create and publish the tiles?

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

I created a tile package in Desktop, uploaded this to AGOL then published from AGOL.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

From the image it looks like the part you want to rename is actually the layer in the tile package. I believe you would have to change the name of the layer in ArcMap or Pro before you created the tile package.

TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that's what I'm trying to rename.  I was hoping I didn't have to create the tile package again simply to rename the layer. Tile package creation can be very time consuming (days for some that I've created).  

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Tony,

Do you need to change the actual layer name or do you need to change how it appears in a web map?

You can update the item name which will update the service layer name or update both the service name and layer name in the web map using the rename functionality. This will also update the layer and service name on the item.

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly...perhaps I'm missing something, but renaming the hosted tile layer name within the web map doesn't work for me. I would like to rename the highlighted tile layer below. The only options that appear for the hosted tile layer in the web map are the two associated with the pop-up. The second image below shows how this tile layer name then appears within a web app that references that web map.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing Tony,

It looks like I was testing a tile layer published from a hosted feature layer and not a tpk. Unfortunately, re-creating the tpk seems to be the only way to do this currently. I'll get this over to the development team, but would suggest you log this as a bug through support services so its trackable.

Thanks,

Kelly

TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

The following enhancement request has been logged:

ENH-000113955: Add an ability to easily rename a tile layer when created from a TPK in ArcGIS Online

Tony

NeilWebber
New Contributor III

Hi, I wonder if this enhancement request ever got implemented? I still can't find an easy way to rename a tile layer published from a TPK, other than republishing the whole thing, which is a bit of a bind. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time...)