Append Data Tool Failing To Maintain Attachments

06-17-2021 11:12 AM
JoshHabel
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am having trouble updating my hosted feature layer on AGOL. I am trying to use the Append tool in ArcPro to add recent data and I want to keep the attachments.  My source data is in a fgdb. The feature class I am working with has 2,814 point features and there are 5,688 pictures in the related attachment table.  I am careful to make sure my fields match and I have the "Maintain Attachments" checkbox selected.  I have successfully done this a number of times in the past but never with this many attachments.  When i run the tool it runs through to completion with ought giving an error.  The feature points get added but not the attachments.  Is there some magic limit in ArcPro or AGOl that is causing this to fail or this there a better way to do this???  I am using ArcPro 2.8.0.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
21 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you try to share the Feature Class as a Hosted Feature layer first? If it publishes successfully, you could append this hosted feature layer to your original target hosted feature layer. 

How To: Retain all attachments when merging hosted feature layers 

Think Location
0 Kudos
BrittneyGibbons1
Occasional Contributor

Was a solution found for this problem? I am having the same issue in version 2.8.1 of Pro when this workflow worked fine in previous versions. I need to be able to add records and keep the attachments. 

0 Kudos
SMcD
by
New Contributor

I am having the same problem.

I have tried to append via two different methods - 1. feature class in a FGDB to hosted feature layer, and 2. hosted feature layer to hosted feature layer, and in each case the geometry and attributes append but the attachments do not.

I have even tried to append a single point location with a photo attachment as a test but I got the same outcome as detailed above.

Following a recent upgrade, I am now using Pro version 2.8.2 and Online version 9.2.

This workflow definitely worked fine in previous versions.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@SMcD @JoshHabel @BrittneyGibbons1 when you're working with the Append tool, are you downloading the map first before appending and then synchronising after the append has completed?

Brooks_SummitGeo_1-1631004501078.png

This tool is on the Map context menu in the Ribbon.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
SMcD
by
New Contributor

Doh! I have to admit that I had a bit of a Homer Simpson moment on this one...

The reason my attachments won't append is because I have a basic license. According to Esri I need a license higher than this for them to be copied.

SMcD_0-1631172224509.png

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any change or did anyone find a work around? I had this issue on 2.8.2 and still on 2.8.3. I have an advanced license.

I'm trying to go from hosted feature service to hosted feature service with attachments. Hosted feature service to GDB works, but that is not what I need.

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi,

It seems to be a defect in the current version of ArcGIS Pro that is planned to get fixed in 2.9.

In the meantime, you can use 2.7 to append your features while maintaining attachments.

Best,

MJ

DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

Hi @MJBiazar . I'm a bit stuck. It does not seem there is a way to roll back a full dot-version of ArcGIS Pro (see this post). I have a child layer that I wish to merge into another child layer of the same parent. All works fine, except the attachments are dropped. I went looking around today for a way to download 2.7--based on your comment above. It does not seem possible. Is the only fix to wait for the 2.9 release? Can you suggest a reasonable work around?

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi @DavidRichey ,

Unfortunately, there is no way to roll back to an older version of Pro unless you still have the installer file for that specific version downloaded. 

With that said, ArcGIS Pro 2.9 update has been planned for second week of November so you may want to wait a few days. 

However, if you would like to get it done asap, you should be able to download your data as a filegeodatabase, bring it into Pro (any version should work), and perform the append in Pro. As long as you have "Maintain attachments" enabled under the environment settings, you should see the attachments in the output merged layer. Then you have the option to publish this as a new service or overwrite your existing feature service.

Best,

MJ

0 Kudos