ArcGIS Online Notebooks: Disappearing Act

07-30-2020 11:15 AM
PaulHoefflerGISS
Occasional Contributor III

When code is run in an ArcGIS Notebook that produces an output file in the /arcgis folder of the Files pane the file is not persistent; it disappears after the kernel is disconnected or some other action occurs. This is specific to this folder, which is apparently a location for temporary files only, even though it is the location that the Files pane opens to.

Imagine if anything I saved to my Documents folder on my local machine wasn't saved, but files within any subfolders were saved.

If users are not to generate content in this space then it should be documented as such, produce an error when code attempts to save in this location, and be easier to create sub-folders.

Saving content into this location can generate other errors, and when the output is deleted the script must be re-run.

3 Comments
RaviNarayanan
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks @PaulHoefflerGISS for this feedback. Will bring this up with the team.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Thank you, @RaviNarayanan .

For this and other Ideas that Needs Clarification, please let me know if you have specific clarification that is required. Since nearly two years has passed, it's possible that some of these are no longer relevant, but also quite possible that they are...

RaviNarayanan
Status changed to: Under Consideration