Power BI Desktop- cannot 'Connect to ArcGIS'

Jump to solution
03-22-2022 12:56 PM
RSIntelTeam
New Contributor

We have the most current PBI Version: 2.103.661.0 64-bit (March 2022), and we are still are not able to connect to ESRI ArcGIS maps on PBI Desktop, this has been going on for months now.

We checked via PBI online which the connection was successful there. Issue only lying in PBI Desktop. 

We have done multiple troubleshoots with no success. 

Please help!!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@RSIntelTeam  - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

There have been reports of some sign-in issues within the visual both in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online. We have identified and fixed an issue related to expired/cached tokens within the visual. This fix will be pushed out with our April 2022 release of ArcGIS for Power BI. 

However, as a quick test (and hopefully fix), we can clear the cache of your Power BI Desktop application to clear out any and all old tokens that are persisted. Give the following steps a try and let me know if this helps! 

As a general note, you might have all or only a few of the folders listed below. Please check both locations and remove all folders listed in these steps. 

1. On your local system, depending on how you installed Power BI, browse to one of the following folder locations:
    • .exe version— %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop (for example, <user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop)
    • Microsoft Store version— C:\Users\<user>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App
  2. Delete the folder named CEF.
  3. Delete the folder named WebView2
  4. Delete the folder named Cache.
  5. Restart the machine.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@RSIntelTeam  - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

There have been reports of some sign-in issues within the visual both in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online. We have identified and fixed an issue related to expired/cached tokens within the visual. This fix will be pushed out with our April 2022 release of ArcGIS for Power BI. 

However, as a quick test (and hopefully fix), we can clear the cache of your Power BI Desktop application to clear out any and all old tokens that are persisted. Give the following steps a try and let me know if this helps! 

As a general note, you might have all or only a few of the folders listed below. Please check both locations and remove all folders listed in these steps. 

1. On your local system, depending on how you installed Power BI, browse to one of the following folder locations:
    • .exe version— %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop (for example, <user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop)
    • Microsoft Store version— C:\Users\<user>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App
  2. Delete the folder named CEF.
  3. Delete the folder named WebView2
  4. Delete the folder named Cache.
  5. Restart the machine.

RSIntelTeam
New Contributor

Thank you so much for the quick responds. I submitted a ticket for our technology team to conduct the above steps. I will keep you updated. 

Rudolfde_Munnik
Esri Contributor

Thank you @AnthonyLatini. Your solution worked for me. I have the Store Version installed. Removed files and rebooted.