Understanding map visibility in Field Maps mobile app

Jump to solution
06-24-2021 03:39 PM
Salmon_ArmBC
New Contributor III

In using the Field Maps mobile app it appears that only the maps shared to a group to which a user belongs are visible to the user in the app.  Maps that are shared in ArcGIS Online to the organization but not a specific group do not appear in field maps app.  For example, I have a user (a member of our ArcGIS Online organization) that is assigned to a Utilities group.  When this user signs in to Field Maps mobile app, he only sees the maps that have been shared to this Utilities group.  He does not see maps shared to our organization as a whole, but not to a specific group.  Looks like Arc Collector works the same way.  Is this by design as a means of limiting the maps a user can see in the mobile app - i.e. just those shared to the user's groups as opposed to a longer list shared to the organization?  I've tried playing with different user roles but this doesn't change what is visible in the Field Maps app.   I should mention that if this user signs in to ArcGIS Online, the organization-level maps are visible to him.  It is only in the Field Maps mobile app that he can only see what is shared to his Utilities group.  The organization-level maps are not hidden from Field Maps either.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Salmon_ArmBC 

You can read about which maps are available and when they are displayed here.

In order to view maps shared with the organization, you need to search for the map. This prevents overwhelming the mobile worker with potentially hundreds if not thousands of maps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Salmon_ArmBC 

You can read about which maps are available and when they are displayed here.

In order to view maps shared with the organization, you need to search for the map. This prevents overwhelming the mobile worker with potentially hundreds if not thousands of maps.

GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

I guess a possible workaround would be to have a group for specific maps that you want to share with everyone at your organisation level and make use of the default groups setting for new users to ensure that everyone is in that group. 

The Explorer app has a useful feature which takes advantage of the organisational gallery setting to display the contents of a featured group to users without those users needing to be a member. We use this for sharing a set of three or four core maps that we want all users to be able to see without having to search. Do you think the same functionality might come to Field Maps at some point?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not aware of any plans to support that at this time. I think you should add an idea for that.

0 Kudos
Salmon_ArmBC
New Contributor III

Thanks Gareth.  Good suggestion about creating an organizational-level group for maps that all should have access to in Field Maps.

Salmon_ArmBC
New Contributor III

Thanks Aaron.  That makes sense and the link provided also indicates that only maps shared to a group or which have made are available, which is what I am finding.  I tried using the search option for organization-level maps, however the only item that appeared was an offline area, which is interesting.  In summary, I can see maps shared to the user's group(s) and also offline areas for maps shared at the org level.

0 Kudos