Select to view content in your preferred language

Form on Field Maps keeps resetting

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 05:18 AM
jstark_mercernj
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

I have been working on configuring forms for field data collection with Field Maps. I spend a lot of time selecting the fields and writing hints and all that, and then a day or two later I go to use it on the app and it has re-set to the default, including fields I do not want on the form. I then go back in to Field Maps, and sure enough there is nothing in the form. I am always sure to save the form prior to exiting, and test it and it works initially.

I am not sure if this is because I am editing the feature layers used (adding more values to fields, etc), or if it is a glitch that others have had trouble with.

Has anyone had this problem? Thanks

24 Replies
GentryEwing1
Emerging Contributor

There could be an additional layer to this.  Workforce may be affecting this as well. Workforce map for Dispatchers and Workers do not have the option to use the New Map Viewer.  I wonder if you have the layer in there as well, and make any changes to those maps, if it breaks the smart forms previously configured. 

0 Kudos
TahoeAIS
New Contributor

I just ran into the same issue today. I spent hours last night configuring the form, saved after nearly every change to avoid the "greying out" of the save button, and checked it in the app multiple times to make sure everything was working smoothly. This morning when I logged on all of the forms were reset to zero, including forms that I had created months ago on layers that were copied onto a new map. Yesterday everything worked perfectly. I am always very careful to only use the New Map Viewer so I don't think that was the issue. I did occasionally have two browsers with Field Maps open, to make sure I was coding lists consistently between layers. Could this be related? 

0 Kudos
DCMcLain
Occasional Contributor

The only way I've been able to make sure my changes don't disappear is to have ONLY the Field Maps window open where I'm setting the templates.  It seems like if you make changes in multiple windows of any ArcGIS application it's going to reset.  Ever since I started closing everything except the Field Maps tab I haven't lost anything

GentryEwing1
Emerging Contributor
JasminBrinovcar1
Emerging Contributor

This should be highlighted as a solution. A user in our organization lost an entire day's worth of work because she had a second tab open to view the domains list. This should absolutely not cause the entire form to reset. Esri needs to fix this! 

0 Kudos
GentryEwing1
Emerging Contributor

I have not lost any forms I configured(not resetting anymore), and the only reason why is when I am configuring the forms, that is the only browser I have open. Once I am done, I save, and EXIT out of that browser. Open a new browser.  DO NOT navigate around in that same browser. It takes an extra 5 seconds, but it doesn't reset the smart forms in the field maps web application.  

TahoeAIS
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback re: multiple browsers.

I think I was able to recreate the issue. It was caused by making a change to the map in the New Map Viewer and saving. This was my workflow:

• Configure form in in Form Builder (Field Maps web app) and save
  • Check in App – all updates are working
  • Go to open browser with New Map Viewer Open and select one of the layers -> make update to symbolization, and Save the Map
  • Form configurations have reset to zero in app and in Field Maps Web app

Since this was part of my workflow last night, I’m hopeful that this was the issue that caused the problems and I can just avoid it in the future.

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett
Frequent Contributor

Same issue for me as well. I spent all morning designing my form only to save it and loose all changes. I also cannot edit the features in the original web map now. Wish I would've never tried the field maps form designer. 

ChristyFung
Occasional Contributor

Same issues for me, I spent so much time designing the forms, it was all gone, shame on ArcGIS team

0 Kudos
JillHalchin
Frequent Contributor

In case anyone is still looking for an answer, check out this thread.   I sure haven't seen anything in the online documentation about that approach, but worth a try tomorrow.