Every time I change the web map, I lose all Field Maps settings

Jump to solution
09-14-2021 09:25 AM
DebSF
by
New Contributor III

Whenever I change anything in a web map (e.g. even just shifting the basemap slightly) and re-save, then go into Field Maps settings for the map, any previous changes I've made are lost. This includes offline mode (resets to being off) and any configuration on the form elements. 

I'm using ArcGIS Online, and get the same behaviour for maps in classic and new map viewer. From what I understand for the help docs, there can be a problem in Enterprise but AGOL should be ok? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@DebSF , have you tried modifying the map from within the Field Maps web app, rather than in a separate map view?

Brooks_SummitGeo_0-1631637651241.png

This map is opened inside the app, so should preserve field maps settings.

You may already know this, but you can't save over a field maps map with the classic map viewer, or you'll lose any of the smart form customisations.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you making sure you refresh map viewer after you make changes in the Field Maps app? Both apps are updating the same map so it's possible you are accidentally overwriting the changes using a "stale" map when you save in Map Viewer.

You can open the map in Map Viewer or Map Viewer Classic directly from Field Maps on the Overview page.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@DebSF , have you tried modifying the map from within the Field Maps web app, rather than in a separate map view?

Brooks_SummitGeo_0-1631637651241.png

This map is opened inside the app, so should preserve field maps settings.

You may already know this, but you can't save over a field maps map with the classic map viewer, or you'll lose any of the smart form customisations.

David
..Maps with no limits..
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

FYI - this is no longer true, you can save the map using either Map Viewer or Map Viewer Classic in ArcGIS Online. For ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 or 10.9 you must use the New/Beta Map Viewer. When Enterprise 10.9.1 is available in the future, you'll be able to use either Map Viewer or Map Viewer Classic.

David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Anonymous User are you sure about this? So if I have conditional fields set up in field maps and then overwrite the map with the classic map viewer, you're saying that the field maps configurations still persist? Last time I opened a field maps map in classic map viewer I still got the warning 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, this changed starting in the April 2021 release of ArcGIS Online. It does look like we forgot to remove the warning message though. I'll log an issue for that.

0 Kudos
DebSF
by
New Contributor III

Thanks @David_Brooks, it does preserve the settings/configuration if I access through the Field Maps web app. I hadn't spotted that button before.

@Anonymous User so if I open and save either the new or classic map viewers, the Field Maps settings should still persist? Should that be the case when I am opening the web map from My Content as well as through Field Maps>Open in Map Viewer? Or is through Field Maps the only workflow that we should use?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It will persist in either map viewer regardless of how/where you open the map. If you open Map Viewer directly from Field Maps, after you make changes, Field  Maps fetches the latest changes you just made so it's always in-sync.

Where you can run into issues is if you have 2 tabs open. One with Field Maps and one with Map Viewer. If you make changes in one of the apps and save it, then you have to manually refresh the page of the other app in order for the changes to be picked up. If you don't do that then, if you make a change in the second app and save - the changes made in the first app will be lost.

David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

ah that's good to know. could you also add another detail to that warning message: Im also finding when i open maps in "New" Map Viewer that have been configured in the Field Maps app Map Viewer, I get the warning message about it being configured in classic map viewer. This was back in August though. At no point had the maps been opened or configured in classic.

David
..Maps with no limits..