Field Maps crashing while GPS Averaging or streaming tracks

05-18-2022 08:58 AM
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

I submitted a ticket to ESRI over a week ago but they have not yet been able to tell me the cause of the issue. I'm wondering if others are experiencing this issue? After moving to 22.1.2, our users are reporting Field Maps crashes while GPS averaging (100 points) or streaming tracks. They had no issues with this last year on the same devices but using an earlier version of Field Maps. 

Tablet = Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3, 64gb & 4GB RAM
OS = Android version 11

All of the users have at least half of the storage space available on their devices. 

If any other Android users are willing to test and report back, more information would help us to determine whether the problem is with our hardware or map or a software release issue. 

16 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Strahanjen ,

Thank you for reporting this. Do you have any other devices that are having this issue? Please note that version 22.2 is currently available in the play store if you could double check on that version as well. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
Strahanjen

@ColinLawrence Thanks for the quick reply. I've asked one of our users who is out in  the field today to try 22.2 and report back. The field crew are all using the same device. I have a personal iPad that I can test on, if that would be helpful. I've also attached a log file from one of our users.  Our case number is #03060182, in case you'd like to coordinate with other ESRI reps looking at this. 

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks, I will take a look. I dont have the exact device but I do have a Tab Active 2 I can try on. I doubt its an issue on iOS. If I find any additional info I can also pass it along to the people working on the support case. 

Regards,
Colin
Strahanjen

@ColinLawrence Another forum user who is also reporting crashing while streaming, tested GPS averaging with 100 point on his Android device for us. Field Maps also crashed for him. See this thread, where he has posted information regarding his device along with a log file: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/app-crash-latest-build-22-1-2/m-p/1176259#...

0 Kudos
Strahanjen

I've confirmed that the users are still experiencing the crash on 22.2. I just tried on the iPad and did not have any issues.

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Have you tried republishing your services and update the map in New Map Viewer?

0 Kudos
Strahanjen

Yes. The issue persists. 

0 Kudos
Strahanjen

I just got more information from a user regarding the crash. Apparently Field Maps doesn't close entirely. Here's what the user says: 

"Field maps seems to crash, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then the map comes back up but does not maintain the work I was doing. "

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@Strahanjen I tried the averaging flow (100 points) on my device and was able to complete it successfully. Can you add some detail about your workflows to help me better understand? Is averaging 100 points per feature typical to your field workflows? How long are the features being streamed for and what are the streaming interval settings being used (Collection settings in the app)? 

Regards,
Colin