Contingent Values not working with Offline Areas

Jump to solution
05-17-2022 12:46 PM
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

Hello. It appears that the support for contingent values added in the May 2022 update only applies when working online. We have a project where contingent values created in Pro will work as expected in the Field Maps mobile app (Android) while working online, but once you create an offline area, they no longer function in the app. No other changes to the project were made. 

Is this a known issue or expected behavior? I haven't been able to find it referenced in the documentation anywhere. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/fill-out-forms.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_7E7EF23C996E4EA7A...

Thanks.

-Aaron
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristianBPedersen
Occasional Contributor II

As of yesterdays ArcGIS.com system maintenance June 22nd we can happily say that Contingent Values are working in our new created offline areas this morning. We can also see that new functions has been added and we are looking forward to hear more about the new updates.

Christian Brogaard Pedersen

View solution in original post

17 Replies
JosephHilliard94
New Contributor III

Just to second this, I stripped out everything from my feature layer/web map and the only issue was the contingent values. I will raise a support call with Esri and comment on here if I find a solution. Glad (well not glad!) someone else has find this to be an issue and not just me as was questioning myself a bit!

0 Kudos
AaronMurphy
New Contributor II

I am also having this problem. Hopefully there is a solution or explanation soon.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @AaronKoelker , @JosephHilliard94 and @AaronMurphy 

Thank you for reporting this behavior. 

- Are you working with ArcGIS Online hosted feature services or ArcGIS Enterprise feature services?

- Are the offline areas you're generating in Field Maps failing to download or do they complete but you cannot access the contingent values?

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @KevinBurke ,

For this specific project, we are using just one ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer. We are able to complete the download of the offline area. The problem occurs when we go to create a new feature (points, in our case): the contingent values do not appear as 'Recommended' in the dropdown, nor do any of the contingent fields auto-populate when there is only one possible value, based on previous choices. This workflow functions normally when not using an offline area (recommended values appear, certain fields auto-populate).

Thanks,

-Aaron
0 Kudos
ErikDeSilva_NPS
New Contributor

I'm experiencing a similar issue, but not making it quite as far. The feature layers with contingent values work while online, but replica generation fails when trying to take the map offline. To answer your questions:

• I am working with a hosted feature service in AGOL.
  • The offline areas fail to download, yielding the errors in the attached log.

Thanks!

-Erik

0 Kudos
AaronMurphy
New Contributor II

I am also working with a hosted feature layer. The problem for me is exactly as @AaronKoelker describes it. Works great when online, but instead of recommended/other values in the contingent field, I just see a list of all possible values. Auto-population of remaining values also does not happen. Otherwise the downloaded map appears to be working fine.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you everyone for providing those details and for confirming the behavior.

The behavior you've described with contingent values in offline areas are known issues that are being actively investigated. 

Depending on the type of feature service being used the behavior may differ. If using ArcGIS Enterprise federated feature services (non-hosted) the offline areas are getting generated successfully however the contingent value definitions aren't being included within the offline area. If using ArcGIS Online hosted feature services the downloads may fail. 

I will provide additional information once it because available. 

Thank you

-Kevin

Sara_
by
New Contributor III

Hi Kevin

I'm having the same issue as listed above, Contingent Values are working in Field Maps through AGOL hosted feature layers but when a map area is downloaded (successful download), the contingent values functionality no longer applies. Is there any update to when this will be resolved? 

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @Sara_ Thank you for sharing that feedback. 

There are a few known issues with ArcGIS Online hosted feature services around contingent values when working with offline map areas:

- In cases where the offline area is being generated directly within Field Maps, the downloads are failing to complete successfully.

- In cases where the offline map areas are being generated at the map level through ArcGIS Online, despite those offline areas being downloaded successfully in Field Maps they don't contain the contingent values.

Both of the issues described above should be addressed with the next update to ArcGIS Online near the end of Q2/early Q3. 

Thank you

-Kevin