Can't see my map

Jump to solution
12-30-2020 12:26 PM
BillHeigh
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I just started using Field Maps, but I started publishing inspection apps for Collector about 3 years ago. I started integrating Survey123 with Collector about 2 years ago. It seems like Field Maps Web App would be like the Survey123 web app, where you could use it as client or as a publisher (if you owned the Survey). But my first Field Maps published service shows no map.

FM_Canvas.PNG

Being the clever guy that I am, I looked into building a Template and I managed to do that.

I am using Windows 10, FireFox, but have tried Chrome also with the same result... no map.

And I can see my published map fine in Map Viewer Beta (or the old one). But back in Field Maps, the Overview tab looks great, but clicking on the Content tab only has 1 second column of navigation tabs and 2 Content tabs. I also notice that the default Basemap is greyed out for some reason.

FM_Contents.PNG

When I minimize the navigation menu, I still only see the empty Templates and Form tabs and Canvas screen shown above. So my question is a pretty basic one. And I have searched far and wide for an answer, because I may be missing something obvious. Could it be that the Field Maps web map is primarily an app for publishers and it's not meant to be for any end user? And is the Map Viewer and Beta the only means for the end users?

I have not panicked yet, and I've been working on inspection forms, although I've managed to lose them a couple of times somehow, without doing any editing nor saving in the non-beta Map Viewer... talented I know!

Thanks, Bill~

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @BillHeigh 

You are correct, Field Maps (web) is designed for map authors/publishers to create the maps to be deployed for data collection using the Field Maps Android and iOS apps.

If you create a form in Field Maps for a layer in your map, you can consume it using Map Viewer (Beta) to edit/create features; though the primary use-case is to collect data using the Android or iOS apps.

The basemap is greyed out because you cannot select it (there are no actions you can take on it).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @BillHeigh 

You are correct, Field Maps (web) is designed for map authors/publishers to create the maps to be deployed for data collection using the Field Maps Android and iOS apps.

If you create a form in Field Maps for a layer in your map, you can consume it using Map Viewer (Beta) to edit/create features; though the primary use-case is to collect data using the Android or iOS apps.

The basemap is greyed out because you cannot select it (there are no actions you can take on it).

BillHeigh
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Aaron! Now I can stop going crazy, because it's not a far drive!  = )