Is there a “What’s New” for 19.1.0 for iOS?

12-31-2019 04:02 AM
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a What’s New doc for the Explorer for ArcGIS version 19.1.0 that was released yesterday for iOS?

According to the info provided in the app store, one of the new features of the 19.1.0 release is “Improved Explorer Links.”  Could someone describe and provide an example of what is provided with this feature?

Tags (1)
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey William Rice‌,

Deploy maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | Documentation 

The doc above describes the improved Explorer links. The doc is in process of being updated for the iOS release (so you can ignore the Note about iOS needing to use the "URL scheme documented in the Explorer Integration GitHub Repository")

In short, the new scheme style ("https://explorer.arcgis.app") is an enhancement to the still supported old scheme ("arcgis-explorer://"). If you're already using the old scheme and do not want to update your links you can continue to use those links as-is. The new scheme is more robust for sharing cross-platform and provides a way for users to install the app if the app is not already installed when following the link. The supported parameters have not changed and we fixed a couple bugs. 

Let me know if you have further questions,

Joel

JustinBurdette
New Contributor III

Joel,

Looks like this new version has broken the previous ability to use the app for viewing MMPK's while completely disconnected from the internet. As long as your still signed into the app it works, but if you get signed out while you have no connectivity, you can't use the app.

Justin

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Justin,

Explorer should not need to "sign in" to be able to work. If you are offline but had previously downloaded content like a MMPK, Offline area or On-Demand Area, Explorer will be able to view/use that content.

Are you seeing something different than this? If so can you Explain your workflow in more detail? We explicitly designed Explorer to work completely offline once you have content downloaded on the device.

Thanks,

-Brent

0 Kudos
JustinBurdette
New Contributor III

Brent,

It seems to be that as long as you are signed in to explorer, losing / having no internet connectivity doesn't keep explorer from working.

But, if you do sign out of explorer and you have no internet connectivity (wifi or cellular disabled or no coverage), then the app will not let you past the login page.  When you touch "Continue without Signing in" a popup displays "Unable to Access the Internet - Turn off aiplane mode or use wifi to access Explorer". I have several MMPK's downloaded to the devices and instances of explorer are behaving in the same manner.

Thanks for helping to troubleshoot this issue.

Justin

0 Kudos
Lauenborg
New Contributor II

Hi Justin

Did you figure this out?
I'm experiencing the same behaviour on iOS release 20.0.1.

- Martin L. Hansen

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Justin,

OK you are using Explorer without signing in. I think I know what you are running into. We are aware of an issue if you install Explorer without ever signing in and never continuing without signing in with connectivity. In this case the app is incorrectly blocking you. We will address this at the next release but to work around this all you have to do is tap "continue without signing in" just once when that app has connectivity. After doing this one time the correct schema is established so any time after that you won't need connectivity when you want to use the app offline anonymously (continue without signing in).

Hope this helps,

-Brent

0 Kudos
JoshAndreas
New Contributor III

Hi Brent,

I'm experiencing the same issue that Justin is describing on both iOS and Windows 10 (most recent versions).

Furthermore:

1) I still get the "Unable to Access the Internet" alert even though I have signed in previously. For good measure, I've also done the "Continue without signing in" while connected. If I drop my connectivity, I'm unable to "Continue without signing in".

2) When I choose to "Continue without signing in" when I do have connectivity, I cannot access my downloaded map. All I see is Esri content.

We were only testing the use of Explorer in the previous version (before running into the iOS 13 Enterprise logon compatibility issue when our phones updated). So I don't have a great memory of my UX with the previous version, but I swear that I was able to "Continue without signing in" without connectivity and access my downloaded map once I did.

0 Kudos
Lauenborg
New Contributor II

Hi Josh

Did you figure this out?
I'm experiencing the same behaviour on iOS release 20.0.1.

- Martin L. Hansen

0 Kudos