When will the new Map Viewer in ArcGIS Enterprise support related tables? Is there a current roadmap?

08-02-2022 01:42 PM
FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

When will the new Map Viewer in ArcGIS Enterprise support related tables?

We are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 on Azure (so it is even further behind AGOL in terms of releases).

Is there a current roadmap? I found one for 2019!

We use related tables for inspections of sites in Field maps and there is no way around using the old classic Map Viewer. This causes all kinds of odd behaviors with the Field Maps custom form disappearing and more.

Thanks for any clues so we can plan to upgrade someday!

11 Replies
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Wow, I did not realize that the map viewer does not include related table support. I was just able to replicate that in our dev 10.9.1 environment (we're still using 10.6.1 for production). How does Esri leave out such critical (not to mention basic) functionality? I understand that classic still exists in Enterprise, but related table is basic functionality that I would expect to exist in the new map viewer.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/10.9.1/use/limitations-and-compatibility-mv.htm

FionaRenton1

I'm guessing that it is much harder than we think to code? I don't know. It still says not supported 😞

I think it's a critical piece for field operations when you visit the same site over and over again. Unless I go back to having flat tables with visit1, visit2...visit x as fields in which case we may as well go back to excel.

0 Kudos
NiekGoorman1
Occasional Contributor

I didn't know that either - thanks for the heads up. You might be able to bring in related data using Arcade expressions, especially if it's just a couple of fields.

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1

It would be nice, but there is new bug for this. I anted to count the number of field visits at a site from the related table :

BUG-000151157 Arcade expression with the function count() hangs and does not calculate an Integer fi... Escalated  Subscribed

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1

This is an enhancement request that is "Low" that someone else created last year: 

#ENH-000145502 [Enhancement] View related records option is not available in the new Map viewer in the pop-ups when we click on a point / polygon / line feature unlike map viewer classic.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Yikes, Esri designated that as "low." How can Esri release a "new" map viewer that they are showing off and making it sound like we should switch over to it when they don't even match the existing functionality in their existing map viewer? If Esri is going to release a new product that replaces an existing one, there at least needs to be feature parity at release.

It's like ArcGIS Pro all over again. Encouraging everyone to migrate to Pro when it doesn't even have feature parity with ArcMap, and having to wait years for that to happen.

FionaRenton1

Perhaps support services does not have access to the programmer road map?  

They said "Unfortunately, there is no time frame we as Support Services can give for when a such function will be implemented, however, the New MapViewer suppose to not interrupt any work and if a certain functionality does not exist on the new Map Viewer then the Classic one supposes to be used."

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1

My Esri | Enhancement Details 

This enhancement is now listed as high priority.ENH-000145502

0 Kudos
NiekGoorman1
Occasional Contributor

Viewing related records is now available in ArcGIS Online (see November update details). From there I expect it'll come to the next major version of Enterprise.

0 Kudos