Select to view content in your preferred language

Tuning ArcGIS Server instances

01-27-2020 10:08 AM
HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

We are running ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 and are having some performance issues.  We are experiencing heavy memory consumption that I'm thinking is attributable to a high number of ArcGIS SOCs running.  I am trying to fine tune the services and would like some help in really understanding what happens after I publish a service.

When I connect to the ArcGIS Server in Catalog and view the services, there are two columns referring to the number of instances for a particular service: "Instances Running", and "Instances in Use".

1) What is the difference between these two columns?

2) Which column is related to the ArcGIS SOC created on the server?

3) Even if I set the number of minimum instances running to 0 there occasionally is still "1 Instances Running" but "0 Instances in Use" why is that?

4) In my simplistic nature, I assume the more heavily a service is being requested the more instances I need to have available? 

5) In a scenario where a user has a web map open but the layer is turned off, is that layer still requesting an instance or not?

Any help in deepening my understanding of this process to help my end users and adjust for performance gains would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Heath

0 Kudos
10 Replies
HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Andrew and Robert.

Thank you both for the information you've been very helpful.

Best,

Heath

0 Kudos