Trying to install Data Store, and possible alternatives

Jump to solution
07-11-2022 03:44 PM
MichaelBell
New Contributor III

I have a machine in Azure which I'm trying to install all the components for ArcGIS Server on. It's taken a while, but I've finally got ArcGIS Server, a webadaptor, a portal, and now I'm trying to install Data Store. This is all on the one machine, using manual installs - not images or cloud builder etc.

Now, when installing Data Store, it seems like its doing something, and then we get the attached error as below:

"Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Failed to start relational data store. Caused by: Connection timed out while waiting for relational data store machine to start."

As I say, this is on the same machine. Furthermore, I can go to the services and see it running, and the content directory is there. However, it cannot configure it with anything.

I've asked ESRI and have tried a few things. They've thrown it open to all their support internationally but trying to speak to them is a bit of a pain due to the time difference. I cannot do an Azure install as that seems to want a few different machines for different things (and we're only going to use the one machine).

As an aside, would an Enterprise cloud install work (or is it simply called cloud builder, or something like that)? That installs everything on just one machine. The support guy I was talking to wasn't entirely sure whether it'd work in Azure, and we've had to open some ports which were closed on the machine to get it working so far.

EDIT - after being given the go-ahead, I uninstalled everything and tried reinstalling using Enterprise Builder - which worked until we got to configuring the Data Store, where we ran into the exact same problem.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
MichaelBell
New Contributor III

Well, I've done a fair few retries of Enterprise Builder. Eventually even got a "username cannot be empty" error (whilst also displaying my username underneath). Checked all the relevant java/javaw and postgres tasks were running, services, tried Oiligriv's solution (as recommended by ESRI), and am now back at the timeout error. Even trying the configuredatastore utility gave me the same error. ESRI have told me not to touch it until they get a response back from their international guys.

Getting very frustrated, I've spent weeks trying to get this thing configured and it's holding work up on other projects.

EDIT - just in case it's taken this way, this is definitely not aimed at you, just updating you as to what I've tried and where I stand. The logs also say more or less the same thing without going into any detail, that the request is timing out

0 Kudos
MichaelBell
New Contributor III

For anyone else having trouble with this, it seems it was down to hardware specs. We were trying this on a machine with 8gb RAM, and the minimum specs are 16gb. Upgraded it and it worked straight off the bat.

WilliamSteichen
New Contributor

I'm getting this error and my machine has 16gb of ram

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

...that's the minimum spec. What else is already installed and running on the machine? Maybe turn off some services? (Not entirely relevant but 16 GB is still a lot of memory in my world.)

0 Kudos
WilliamSteichen
New Contributor

Nothing else is installed on this machine except normal windows server. We had it dedicated to just running ArcGIS Datastore. With Datastore turned off cup usage is at 3% with 5gb of Memory used up from just the server running. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Yeah of course it's the only thing running and it gobbles all the memory. Sheesh. Maybe it's not that. Maybe it really can't start Postgres for some other reason? My datastore has 24GB and 500GB of disk. It says there are 7 instances of Postgresql running right now and each uses about 3 MB that is MB not GB...

I think it sticks its installation log file in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Datastore\usr\logs\HOSTNAME\server\ during installation, I'd check there to see if it says anything useful. Mine are empty so maybe it's useless. (My regular log is full of errors about problems it has that I need to tend to, yes, I have to work on it. It does not report anything, just quietly logs errors that no one ever sees.)

Is your install getting far enough to put log files into C:\arcgisdatastore\logs? Can you see any database start up log messages?

0 Kudos
WilliamSteichen
New Contributor

Thanks for all the good info. I should add that it is the standby datastore. When i run the configuration and try to attach it to the portal it seems that it is replicating everything from the main datastore and i can see the harddrive filling up and right when it gets to the point of finishing it fails.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Isn't it copying all the data sort of the point of having a standby? I am not understanding this. I expect the standby to need the same disk space the primary has.

I set up a vanilla pair of Postgres servers in Docker containers yesterday. Now I am trying to turn on replication. Then I can put some data in the primary and watch what happens.

0 Kudos
WilliamSteichen
New Contributor

Correct. My standby has the same amount of disk space as the primary. Basically I have the primary working. I'm trying to attach the secondayr. Primary already has about 150gb of data on it. I have 300gb hard disk space on both servers which leaves about 150gb of free space. I walk through the standby setup and go through the configuration setup to attach it to the Enterprise. Everything seems to work perfect and i watch the hard drive space fill up but right when it looks like its finished it throws the error and cancels everything.

0 Kudos