Slow performance administering services in ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server Manager 10.1

09-06-2012 02:54 PM
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

Recently we have been having issues with access the map services in ArcCatalog.  After trying to recreate the error on a test machine, we narrowed down part of it to having the Configuration Store set to a network drive as opposed to C:/.

Originally, we had set the configuration store to a network drive because "the location must be accessible to all machines that are registered to the site".

We shared the C:\arcgisserver\config-store across the network so that all machines could access it instead.

Since changing this setting, the response time is much much faster than it was before.  It used to take ~30 seconds to pull up the 'right click' menu in ArcCatalog, or view the services directory in ArcGIS Server Manager.

If anyone else is having similar issues, I hope this can help.

Any insight to why this would cause everything to slow down would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Hi everyone.

Bad news.  We have installed 10.2 for Desktop, and server, and it looks like this issue still isn't fixed.  It might actually be worse now.  My ArcCatalog window has stopped responding a couple times when trying to right-click a service to find it's properties.

I suspect that ESRI won't hot-fix this problem, because it's not actually fixed yet.:mad:
0 Kudos
SamanthaEdwards
New Contributor II
I am having the same issues with 10.2...trying to create a cache for a published map service takes forever and then just stops in the middle without finishing.
0 Kudos
GarethFinney1
New Contributor III
Hi everyone.

Bad news.  We have installed 10.2 for Desktop, and server, and it looks like this issue still isn't fixed.  It might actually be worse now.  My ArcCatalog window has stopped responding a couple times when trying to right-click a service to find it's properties.

I suspect that ESRI won't hot-fix this problem, because it's not actually fixed yet.:mad:

I agree!
We've moved to 10.2 and are still wrestling with the speed of admin, and even hitting up our rest end points. ~10 seconds to access the rest services list is SLOW!  we have 4 servers clustered with a UNC path. We are now going to set up a test of 2 to 4 servers running separately with local path settings and caches and see if that 1. speeds things up from admin perspective, and 2. can handle the load we need it to!!

this is extremely frustrating...

GF
0 Kudos
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III
Any luck with 10.2.1?
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
These issues should have been resolved at 10.2.  If you are still seeing problems, it may be a problem within your specific environment.
0 Kudos
RobertMcCray
New Contributor
In 10.2.2, ArcGIS Server Manager was still slow to list services, but as it turns out it wasn't a bug, just a misconfigured firewall.

Like Rasmus found, the GIS machines talk to each other on ports 4000-4004. Listing services in ArcGIS Server Manager sped up for us after opening those ports on each GIS machine.

Since those ports can be incremented up, a better practice would be to add application exceptions for:

arcgisserver\bin\ArcSOC.exe
arcgisserver\framework\etc\service\bin\ArcGISServer.exe
arcgisserver\framework\runtime\jre\bin\javaw.exe
arcgisserver\framework\runtime\jre\bin\rmid.exe

ArcGIS for Server's port usage is documented here:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//015400000537000000
0 Kudos
BeauDealy
New Contributor
I don't think that firewall is the only issue here. We have a dev environment set up where the firewall is turned off on both machines we cluster; and the difference in proformance while performing operations is pretty striking. For example, If I go to overwrite over an existing service while the machines are clustered, the service selection step in the dialogue won't show for a good 15 minutes. UNclustered, I'll get a response back in seconds. To esri's credit, once the cluster is up and doing its thing, it ticks like a clock.

If this is a configuration problem, then where is the documentation that tells us how to avoid it?

As it stands now, we only cluster 2 machines. If we do operations in off-peak hours then it's not a big deal uncluster, do your housekeeping and then re-cluster. Running more than 2 however with the additional load it's expected to carry could get messy.
0 Kudos
KrisFuller
New Contributor II

Does anyone have any more information on this slow performance issue. I am also setting up a 2-server cluster, but the second I cluster them, ArcCatalog and the publishing process slow down to a crawl. Both firewalls are turned off on the server.

We have installed 10.3 and tested and this still seems to be the case. Has anyone else installed 10.3 and is seeing this? Anybody opened an ESRI ticket for this?

Could we get a response an ESRI representative?

0 Kudos
KenonRonz
New Contributor

Hello,

We are experiencing the same issue on 10.2.2, and it is getting worse.  Any guidance from ESRI on how to eradicate this issue would be much appreciated, as it is quickly coming to a point where it will be affecting end users.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm on 10.5.1, I set my content/directories/config store for Portal and Server to use a UNC path to a shared NAS then added a second machine to the AGS cluster. After adding the machine, administrative processes in Server Manager/Admin Directory/ArcCatalog are super slow. I'm getting even worse performance as I add a third or fourth machine. Is there still no documented solution to a 5 year old problem?

0 Kudos