Should I upgrade to ArcGIS 10.4.1, or wait for 10.5?

Jump to solution
11-22-2016 01:21 PM
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

After a very busy summer season, we finally have some downtime to deal with some server and other back-end issues.

We have ArcGIS 10.3.1 installed right now, and we are looking at updating to the latest release of Server and Portal.

Should we go ahead and upgrade to 10.4.1, or should we wait until next month, when 10.5 is slated for release.

I have never done an update before, and I wasn't around to set up our original install, so I am not sure how much work it will be. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eric,

I would wait until ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 (the new name for the ArcGIS for Server product) is released next month. You will get all the latest enhancements and it is an in-place upgrade.

And to learn more about ArcGIS Enterprise: What is ArcGIS Enterprise?—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Eric,

I would wait until ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 (the new name for the ArcGIS for Server product) is released next month. You will get all the latest enhancements and it is an in-place upgrade.

And to learn more about ArcGIS Enterprise: What is ArcGIS Enterprise?—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

Hope this helps,

EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your input! We will wait until 10.5 is released before we update.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Eric,

FYI, ArcGIS 10.5 final is now available for download from Esri Accounts.

The following products are available with this release:

• ArcGIS Desktop
  • ArcGIS Enterprise (Windows) – Includes Portal
  • ArcGIS Enterprise (Linux) – Includes Portal
  • ArcGIS Enterprise Workgroup – in Enterprise (Windows)
  • ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit
  • ArcGIS Engine
  • ArcGIS for INSPIRE
  • Esri Business Analyst Desktop with 2016 U.S. Data
  • Esri Business Analyst Server with 2016 U.S. Data
  • ArcGIS for Aviation: Airports
  • ArcGIS for Aviation: Charting
  • ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry
  • ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting
  • Esri Defense Mapping
  • Esri Production Mapping
  • ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing
  • Esri Roads and Highways
Enjoy and happy holidays,
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Derek... want to wander over here and fill in some gaps https://community.esri.com/thread/187532-arcmap-105-python-version 

I want to know whether it is even worth installing 10.5.  Especially if  PRO 1.4 is going to have all the functionality of ArcMap (distinct rumour) but at least a version of python and its kin that are more relevant and recent

DerekLaw

Hi Dan,

Sorry, but I don't know which Python release is being used in the ArcGIS 10.5 release. Checking your thread, I do see some activity and it looks like Melita Kennedy‌ confirmed that the python version was not updated. I am trying to verify with some folks on the Dev team, but it is close to the holidays and many folks are out on vacation. I will post an update when I hear something back.

Hope this helps,

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Derek... I think I am going to skip 10.5 altogether.  

Not much offered that I need and the 'fixed by...' documentation didn't flag anything that affected me.

I am more interested in what is coming in PRO.  If PRO 1.4 remains the same with their conda distribution.. or (wishing) has upgraded python, numpy and scipy, that is more of interest from an analysis perspective.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Dan,

Finally heard back from the Dev team, here are the Python package versions included with ArcGIS 10.5 final release:

• python 2.7.12
  • numpy 1.9.3
  • scipy 0.17.0
  • matplotlib 1.5.2

Hope this helps and happy holidays,

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Derek, it won't help in my situation since I am using patched versions of functions that I need from python 3.5, and numpy 10 +

0 Kudos