Server 10.3 - Restarting Service not updating symbology

02-12-2015 05:28 AM
RichHammond
New Contributor

Hi All,

I've been stuck on ArcGIS 10.0 for a while, so our recent jump to 10.3 has been a bit of a learning curve. One problem I can not overcome is having changes I've made to my map document appear on my map service after I've saved my changes in the mxd file and restarted the service. For example, I create the service with small, brown points and publish it. Everything is fine. If I then try and change the symbology to medium-sized yellow points, save the document and restart the service, the points remain small and brown in my published service. Stopping and then starting the service has no effect either. I've done this in both ArcCatalog and the ArcGIS Server Manager. If I choose to share the document again via ArcMap and then overwrite the existing service, the changes finally appear. So I could do this every time I make a change, but it's not ideal. I just want to know for my own sanity if restarting the service should make these changes appear. This is how it was in ArcGIS Server 10.0, and from everything I've read about 10.3, this functionality should still be the same. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong.....

Thanks,
Rich

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Source data is now normally copied to the server at the time of publishing, hence you need to overwrite the service as to update the source data stored on the server. More detail can be found here:

About editing services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Overwriting a service in ArcGIS for Desktop—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

0 Kudos
RichHammond
New Contributor

Thanks, Andy. I have the data stored in SDE, and have already set up my enterprise database within the data store, so from what I can tell the data is being pulled from the database, not a local store on the server. And the problem I'm having is the representation of the data (symbology), not the actual data itself.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rich,

Starting at 10.1, a copy of the MXD and an MSD are written to the C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput directory.  The service reads from the MSD file.  The only way to update this file is to make your changes to the original MXD and then overwrite the service.  More information can be found at the below link:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

PeggyCorey
New Contributor

Have you resolved this problem yet?  I'm having the same problem. 

Our ArcGIS Server was upraded to 10.3 (from 10.1 I believe), and now when overwriting existing services, the graphics are not updating consistently. 

That is, I've noticed when zooming and panning my map, the display of the layer I've updated is up updated, then not updated, then updated then not updated... intermittently.  So I'm seeing old symbolgies, then new symboligies then old... intermittently.

I've cleared my browser cache many times, and this odd behavior continues.

I've saved my changes to my MXD file, then overwritten the service, as Jake suggested, but to no avail.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Does this happen if you use the service through port 6080 or 6443?

Ex.

http://<server>:6080/arcgis/rest/services/<service>/MapServer

or

https://<server>:6443/arcgis/rest/services/<service>/MapServer

Also, does the drawing info stay the same at Rest if you refresh the page?

Ex.

https://<server>/<web_adaptor>/rest/services/<service>/MapServer/<layer_id>

0 Kudos
PeggyCorey
New Contributor

As far as the different ports go, I don't know, because all of that is hidden from me.  I tried putting in the port numbers as you showed, but I get "This webpage is not available."

It looks like in my case, it took the weekend for the changes to propagate thru the architecture our IT folks have created, before the new symbologies displayed consistently on the clients.

So if a user simply waits 3 days, then they will see the updates.  That's good to know!

0 Kudos