SDE Oracle Migration 10.0 to 10.3.x

Jump to solution
10-21-2015 10:12 AM
KristenJones1
New Contributor III

Sorry if this has been answered but I wasn't able to find a similar scenario and there are so many variables to consider with specific migrations.  I would appreciate any and all input in this.

We currently have a Oracle SDE GeoDatabase system running in a 10.0 environment with an ArcFM module. Clients consist of a few ArcGIS desktops and a couple of smaller custom GeoView/Explorer clients and such.  We are getting ready to ramp up to having a GISServer and new development so we want to bring everything to 10.3.  We do have time, so it does not have to be a switch and done in one night.  We want to slowly bring the DB's/Schema's over to the 10.3 platform as we redevelop and upgrade the existing apps. We have a lot of cleaning up to do so we want to use this opportunity to move one data-set over at a time until we get to the point we need to do a "switch" with the remaining users and apps. 

The basic idea we are thinking is to setup and new Oracle DBMS on a new server create a new SDE instance of 10.3 and then using a 10.3 client like ArcCatalog simply copy and paste the old to the new.  Will this work and maintain all of the data AND update the GeoDB version? or is it going to be more complicated than this?  

Thanks for any and all input!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jason,

Yes, a copy/paste will move all of the data from one RDBMS to another and be updated.  However, if you have versions or replicas, these will not be copied over to the new RDBMS.  These will need to be recreated once the data is copied.  If you do have versions and replicas, you should synchronize all replicas, reconcile/post the versions, and then perform a compress of the database before the copy/paste.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Will you be upgrading the Oracle version as well?  If this is the case, then you will need to upgrade the connections to SDE in mxds as well as lyr files you might have created that connect to Oracle SDE.  Depending upon how many mxds you support this could be a pretty big job and you would probably want to automate the process with something like python scritping.

I believe ESRI has deprecated what Oracle versions you can use with v10.3, so you will need to research that as well.

KristenJones1
New Contributor III

Yes we will be upgrading the Oracle version. There are not that many MXDs and I know the client sides must be updated. My main question is if a copy/ paste would suffice for moving data from one DBMS to the other

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I do not have an answer for the copy/paste question but here could be a thread with some helpful links on upgrading an Oracle SDE database.

upgraded ArcSDE 10.0 to 10.2.2, but unable to start the sde instance.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jason,

Yes, a copy/paste will move all of the data from one RDBMS to another and be updated.  However, if you have versions or replicas, these will not be copied over to the new RDBMS.  These will need to be recreated once the data is copied.  If you do have versions and replicas, you should synchronize all replicas, reconcile/post the versions, and then perform a compress of the database before the copy/paste.