Saved mxd file crashing when a particular feature class is involved

09-19-2018 11:00 AM
SOVANHALDER
New Contributor III

Hi,

We are facing issues with our saved mxd. The  mxd with a particular feature class in enterprise geodatabase (Oracle 11g)  is crashing with no error message. We tried with mxd Doctor but no luck. 

Can anyone help on this?

TIA 

S

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Sovan,

Please provide the following information which might be helpful to troubleshoot the issue: -

• Version of arcgis desktop
  • License level of arcgis desktop
  • Was the MXD originally made in the same version of arcgis desktop
  • Apart from the saving issue does it show any other symptoms?
  • Does the issue replicates when all the layers are migrated to a new map document?
  • Have someone else login to your machine with their user credentials and have them check if the issue persists.
  • Login in to any other machine with your credentials and see if you still get the same error?

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
SOVANHALDER
New Contributor III

Hi,

Please find below

• Version of arcgis desktop - 10.3.1 and 10.2.2
  • License level of arcgis desktop - Advanced , Standard and Basic
  • Was the MXD originally made in the same version of arcgis desktop - Yes (created in 1022)
  • Apart from the saving issue does it show any other symptoms? No. 
  • Does the issue replicates when all the layers are migrated to a new map document? Only one fc is having the issue
  • Have someone else login to your machine with their user credentials and have them check if the issue persists. -affecting all the users
  • Login in to any other machine with your credentials and see if you still get the same error? It is affecting to all of the users

I want to add following observations

In ArcGIS 10.3.1 a Python script to convert mxd to pdf did not run but it worked well in 10.2.2.

S

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the featureclass crashes a blank new project, then try running a repair geometry on it

Repair Geometry—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Repair geometry accepts a featureclass on disk unlike check geometry.

If the featureclass doesn't crash a new project, then try adding the remaining data... it may not have been that particular fc but other data associated with it

0 Kudos
SOVANHALDER
New Contributor III

The issue is with only one particular fc. The fc is added in a blank mxd and saved. lLater when tried to open the mxd it crashed.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you run a check and repair geometry on the featureclass before saving the blank mxd.

Now that you know that the fc causes issues with the saving and reopening, you have to see if repairing the fc will allow a project to be saved and reopened with it in it

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Sovan,

I do agree with Dan at this point. However, I would suggest you to go ahead and run the Check Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop before you run the Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop . I have had a bad experience where I executed repair geometry without check geometry and there was some data loss.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
SOVANHALDER
New Contributor III

Check Geometry tool is not working as the problem FC is in SDE. I tried to run copy feature class tool but it failed.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Both Check Geometry and Repair Geometry will not work for SDE Feature classes. It is already documented in the link that were shared earlier.

But it is interesting to note that even Copy failed as well. Can you try to use Feature Class To Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to make a copy of the feature class in a file geodatabase and then try to run the Check Geometry and Repair Geometry and see if it is able to find any issues with the geometry.

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos