Registering a folder fails “The arcgis server is not able to connect to the specified directory”

03-26-2017 02:01 PM
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Registering a folder fails “The arcgis server is not able to connect to the specified directory”,

I got the error below while registering a folder in ArcGIS Server 10.5 (shown in the screenshot below)

“The arcgis server is not able to connect to the specified directory”,

What might be the issue here?

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ensure the folder has read permission for following accounts

- ArcGIS

- Current User

Think Location
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for you advice

Its helpful 

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with jayanta.poddar, you need to give the current user a permission with full control on the shared folder, attached.

Best,

Majdoleen

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

That is good to know that the ArcGIS server user account needs to have full permission on the source data folder to avoid copying it to the machine where the ArcGIS Server is installed

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
AyeshaAnwar
New Contributor II

Hi

I am still having the same error while i have set the permission full control to arcgis and my user account.

Can you please help me to find the solution

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

All what you need to do is to grant the ArcGIS Server User Account a full access to the storage. For example, if ArcGIS Server User Account is in machine M1 and the data is in machine M2, then the ArcGIS Server User Account needs to have full permission on the storage of machine M2 (its C or D drive)

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

UPDATE: I was able to switch everything to the UNC path and it worked.  Kind of a pain but it is what it is.  Had to manually enter the path to add the folder connection.

I have given both the current user and the ArcGIS Server Account full permissions and still have the same issue.  The data is on a mapped network drive.  I've looked into changing the source of the data to the UNC path but Pro doesn't seem to allow that or at least I can't figure out how to do it.  I have also attempted to register the drive in Server Manager but that doesn't work either.  I don't really understand this as I have used this method before in ArcMap from the same location (well the UNC path \\servername\) without issue just not in Pro.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City