Questions on the Upgrade approach - How to upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise to v 11.3.

08-05-2024 07:17 AM
AnkitaGawai
New Contributor

Hi,

I have an ArcGIS enterprise in a box, deployed using the ArcGIS Enterprise builder. Can we upgrade this environment using Chef scripts?

If not, then what are the reasons behind it, and what will be the possible challenges I can face during the upgrade?

Thank You,
Ankita Gawai

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ArchitSrivastava
Frequent Contributor

Hello @AnkitaGawai ,

This is an interesting question, and I'll try to address some key concerns I would have.

Based on my understanding, you can upgrade the environment according to your needs, depending on the requirements of the method you choose. However, Esri recommends sticking to the original deployment method. Using ArcGIS Enterprise Builder allows you to upgrade everything at once, whereas switching to a different method would require you to upgrade each component individually or would depends on the chosen method. Additionally, once you transition away from the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder deployment process, reverting to that method may not be possible.

It's important to consider the complications of using other methods, such as Chef. Not all deployment methods are suitable for every scenario.

I think, ArcGIS Enterprise Builder is ideal for rapid, simplified deployment of a base ArcGIS Enterprise configuration (ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Data Store, and Web Adaptor) on a single machine. In contrast, Chef scripts are typically more beneficial in multi-node setups where configuration consistency and automation are critical.

In a single-machine setup, the overhead of scripting an upgrade with Chef may outweigh the benefits.

The above considerations focus on the differences and requirements of choosing a particular method. They do not take into account the manual steps you would need to take, the compatibility issues you might encounter, the management of downtime during the upgrade process, and any custom configurations you need to consider. 

I hope this helps you in making an informed decision.