Publishing tile package "There was an error publishing the service"

Jump to solution
12-31-2014 10:33 AM
SébastienMartin
New Contributor III

Hi,

I uploaded several tile packages (,tpk), and I keep getting the error "There was an error publishing the service" when pressing the publish button.

My tile packages open without problem in ArcMap 10.2.2.

I don't have SSL enabled either.

When I try sharing directly from ArcMap (resulting in ArcGIS Online tiling for me), there is no problem. But I tried this only for the first scales (doing that for the entire project would cost me a ton of credits to tile).

So I use the "Create Map Tile Package" tool from the Package toolset (Data Management Tools) to create my tpk. (I also use a custom tiling scheme). Then I upload the package to Arcgis online (I tried via Toolbox and from my browser). When I press the Publish button, I get the "There was an error publishing the service." error.

Help me please!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SébastienMartin
New Contributor III

I just realized I didn't post the solution I found to this problem. It was only a matter of ArcMap Version. The version I used (10.2 I think), was using slightly different scales that the 10.3 version (the difference was in the decimals). When they updated ArcGIS Online, packages using the old scale values couldn't publish. That's it!

Cheers.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RenataCihlarova
New Contributor II

Hi,

did you manage to run Publish correctly on ArcGIS online? I am encountering the same problem.

Thank you

Renata

0 Kudos
RusselQuan
New Contributor III

Did you ever resolve this issue?  I am unable to publish a tile package successfully.  I created the package on desktop and uploaded it to AGOL.  I see the Tile Package, and clicking Publish, it creates a Tile Layer.  But the tiles don't behave as I would expect.  As I zoom in, it decreases the number of tiles being displayed, long before I am zoomed in to be able to read the tiles.  In addition, the properties of the Tile Layer consistently show 0% of the tiles are available. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you use a AOI?  There are a number of bugs in it.  See Mange Tiles shows much larger size than cache using custom scales

Even if it says 0 look at the actual number of tiles published not a %.  Mine says 0.01% but still works fine.

DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having the same issue. I created the tile package for a single raster dataset and shared to ArcGIS Online with ArcMap version 10.3.1 and when publishing the .tpk via ArcGIS Online, get the same error. When I open the uploaded .tpk in ArcGIS for Desktop, it looks fine, so I can't figure out why this error would occur. I'm an administrator, so I have publishing rights.

Has anyone experienced any progress on this?

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2

I am getting the same error when trying to publish a tile package as a tile layer in AGOL.  The one thing I wonder is if using jp2 files is not supported as the files are not uncompressed tiffs.  I've not seen any info related to this, but it is my hunch.  My other hunch is that a rectangular boundary is required.  I've been packing irregular shaped boundary datasets and am getting the error.  Right now I am sharing a newly created tpk from a mosaic dataset with jp2 source data.  The package and the cache both look fine.  One thing though, ArcPro will not open any of the tile packages that I create.  Is this normal?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My guess is the projection you are making the cache?  Do you use the AGO scheme or custom.  Also check security on the published file.  

Irregular shapes i do all the time.

I always unzip my tpk before i use it in Pro or ArcMap and they work fine.  If you do not it has to unzip the whole thing to temp dir then use.  That can take forever on a big file.  (to unzip just rename to .zip and unzip)

Do you use the share package tool to upload it to AGO?  Anything over 1gb must use this tool.

My workflow is

Create Map of images

Run Create Map Tile package tool to make tpk 

Use Share package tool to share with AGO

In AGO open the tpk and hit Publish

Use in any map

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2

The projection I am using is a State Plane projection that matches the elevation layer I want to drape the imagery over.  The scales are set from 1,152 to 5xx,xxx increasing by a factor of two each time.  

The only thing different about this tile package from other ones is that the source data in the mosaic dataset is in jp2 format which is compressed.  The total tile package size is 6.5GB when using this source data.  If I export to Tiff first then create a tile package it is over 30GB.  So my main question is whether the raster file type is affecting the creation of the service.  There isn't anything I've found that points to jp2 as being the culprit for the failed service but what else could it be?  I guess I will try and publish a single small jp2 raster as a tile package and publish it.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you giving the tool a Map or the Mosaic dataset?  Try a map - that may hide the file type.

If you want a custom projection you have to use

Generate Tile Scheme

Manage Tile Cache

Then Export Tile Cache if you want a TPK  (not export has some bugs in it that I logged over 2 years ago)

RichardHughes2

Good idea on using a map as the input.  I have been using the Mosaic Dataset -> Generate Tiling Scheme -> Manage Tile Cache -> Export Tile Cache (tpk)

I'll just build the tiling scheme from a map instead.  Come to think of it, since AGOL does not support image services maybe that is why the mosaic dataset does not work as the input to the package?