Publishing a flow direction layer created by geometric network

02-23-2022 06:12 AM
Dan_Espinosa
New Contributor

Good morning everyone, I am running an ESRI Enterprise setup and have maps published to our Portal site. We are using both ArcGIS Pro (Trace Network) and ArcMap for Desktop (Geometric Network) and have the ability to set flow direction and display the direction arrows in those applications. My question is, is there a way to publish those directional arrows to a map service? In the past we would use the direction of how the line is drawn to display these arrows into a map but wanted to see if there was a more efficient way to either: a) flip lines according to control device upstream being open and closed or; b) way to display the arrows in the geometric/trace network to a map service?

Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

We are using both ArcGIS Pro (Trace Network) and ArcMap for Desktop (Geometric Network) and have the ability to set flow direction and display the direction arrows in those applications. My question is, is there a way to publish those directional arrows to a map service?

@Dan_Espinosa

It sounds like you got it working as desired in ArcGIS Pro (& in ArcMap), right? If that is correct, then you should be able to publish that as a map service (aka map image layer in Pro) in your enterprise setup. In general, if something works in Pro (or in ArcMap) and you don't get any analyzer warning/error while publishing/sharing, it should work in a map service.

Are you seeing any issues?

NB: Since we are talking about ArcMap here, I thought I should add this note as well: As you might have already known that 10.9x is the last release where you can publish any services from ArcMap. We highly recommend everyone to publish services from ArcGIS Pro. There are a lot of advanced capabilities that you will get from Pro.

0 Kudos
Dan_Espinosa
New Contributor

Hi TanuHoque,

I've added two images of what I'm referring to. In the first image (Flow_Analysis1), you should be able to see a red line with red arrowhead symbols (SE direction) to reflect the direction the line is drawn to. You can also see a black directional arrowhead symbols (from the geometric network set flow analysis). In the second image (the line to the south) (Flow_Analysis2), there are two switches that are highlighted. I closed the switch at the west and opened the switch on the east to allow flow from the northern line to go through. You should be able to see the red arrowhead symbols still displaying going SE but the black arrowhead symbols to NW. My question is, I know I can publish the lines with the red arrowhead symbols but is there a way to: a) create a layer for the flow direction that results from the flow analysis or; b) publish the flow to a map service.  Thank you for all the help!

Dan_Espinosa_0-1645641943356.png

Dan_Espinosa_1-1645642214384.png

0 Kudos