Publish layer file referencing mosaic dataset in registered folder

06-23-2016 02:21 PM
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

I have a mosaic dataset that I want to publish as an image service to a server that does not have ArcGIS Desktop installed (just ArcGIS Server). I have copied the data over and a file Geodatabase that references the mosaic with the proper paths. I can publish an image service with the registered data by right-clicking the mosaic on my local machine and choosing "Share As Image Service". So I know that the data are registered properly on the server. The volume is high (~60GB) for copying over at publishing time, thus the registration.

I would like to publish the service based on a layer file that references the mosaic. When I do so, the publishing fails. I tried updating the layer file so that it has the path on the server (different than the path on my local machine), but then I cannot publish it--I get a data source error.

Is there a workflow to publish a layer file that references a mosaic dataset as an image service?

Greg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
andrewj_ca
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Greg,

Assuming that you've registered the directory correctly with ArcGIS Sever, does the ArcGIS Server service account have access/permissions to that folder?  I know is sounds rudimentary, but look at the small things first.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I checked the permissions and the arcgis account as full access. I'm pretty sure it's registered correctly as I can publish the mosaic from my Desktop to the server without it copying the data over. It's only publishing the layer file that points to the mosaic that fails. Unfortunately, I can't think of another way to get the symbology that I want working on the server.

0 Kudos
andrewj_ca

UNC pathing?

0 Kudos
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

Good idea, I'll give it a try. Right now it's referencing a drive letter on the (windows) server. Thanks.

andrewj_ca

UNC pathing is king, especially when dealing with client/server relationships.

0 Kudos
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

I haven't tried the UNC path yet but a guy from Esri gave me a workaround. You can apply a default style to a mosaic raster, then publish the mosaic rather than the layer. I plan on testing later this week.

Setting default raster display options—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos