Problem publishing to hosting server Portal 10.6.1

08-29-2018 11:21 AM
WenfengLi
New Contributor III

I tried to publish a simple small shapefile to the hosting server from Portal. I am using "Add from My Computer"

I received the error 999999, Error executing tool. Publish Portal Service Job ID:j1a2b......, Error executing function, Bad syntax in request (status code 400). Failed to execute (Publish Portal Service). The source of the error is: System/Publishing Tool. GPServer.

I am able to user arcmap and publish service to the hosting server as feature layer. Therefore, the hosting server and the datastore appears function properly.

I really don't know where to look for the solution. Wonder any one had similar problem for the Portal 10.6.1.

12 Replies
WenfengLi
New Contributor III

Thank you Joshua, that is exactly the way to get to the PublishingToolsEx. '

For the upgrading, I also had great difficulties from 10.5 to 10.6.1. The instructions by ESRI assumes everything goes smoothly, if one step does not complete properly, you are out of luck. 

I end up did somewhat similar to Joshua did. But slightly different. Before the upgrade,  make a copy of the "arcgisportal" and "arcgisserver" folder of the 10.5.  Then I install all the new components fresh (but DO NOT unfederated ArcGIS servers, including hosting server). Once all the components in place, copy the old 10.5 "arcgisportal", "arcgisserver" folders to replace the new 10.6.1 "arcgisserver" folder. This gave me somewhere to start. Then I start the portal and fix a few things, mainly to change the version number. In this way, most of my existing links are working. 

I know this is not the best way, but at least allows me quickly get most things back. I also learned that we can use other more sophisticated migration tools, like "chef arcgis cookbook", I have not explored this yet.

0 Kudos
VytautasGipiskis
Esri Contributor

Padare berods. Atsiusk config screenshot

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

I am hoping this is a one time endeavor. This time I will be recreating all content from scratch. I will not be moving anything over simply because I do not trust the integrity of any of our existing content. Services will be republished, maps and apps recreated manually, etc.. I want to avoid accidentally bringing over a corrupted item from our existing installation that will break the new install.

After this new install I will try doing an in place upgrade again. I do not want to do a clean install for every upgrade, but that depends on how much Esri fixes their server software installers. I am curious what quality improvements ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8 brings. I am assuming that will be out December/January time-frame since that is Esri's current release cadence.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos