Possible to publish directly to standalone Image Server on Pro

Jump to solution
03-04-2022 09:22 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

We recently installed and authorized Image Server role as a standalone server.  It is not part of a multi-machine deployment with our existing Server / Portal ArcGIS Enterprise.  We did add it as a Federated server to our Portal though.

When I use Pro to try and share a web layer to Image Server, I get the error "the ArcGIS GIS server role is not licensed on the ArcGIS Server". If I go to Server Manager on the image server, it does say the image server role is licensed correctly.  If I go to Server Manager on my regular ArcGIS Server, it is of course not listed as an available extension because I did not configure it as part of a multi machine deployment.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does image server need to be part of a multi-machine deployment with our existing ArcGIS Server? Or for this to work would I need to set up a separate Portal and federate that with Image Server?  Unclear what the architecture should be here....

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You need to right click the Mosaic Dataset and share. Look at this workflow: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/publish-an-image-service.htm

I have done this many times.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You need to right click the Mosaic Dataset and share. Look at this workflow: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/publish-an-image-service.htm

I have done this many times.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

A Map Image layer is not the same as an Imagery layer. Map Image layers are published to a GIS Server, and traditionally reference data within an Enterprise Geodatabase / file geodatabase (vector data). An Imagery layer is a published mosaic / Ortho Photos layer, and those can only be published to an Image Server.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

No @Jay_Gregory you don't need to do any of that.  When you register Image Server on an ArcGIS Server site, you first apply the ECP for ArcGIS Server through the authentication wizard.  Then you go back into the site, start the authentication wizard again, and apply the ECP for the Image Server role.  All server sites contain the Image Server role by default, so they just have to be authorized.

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

@DavidColey @ReeseFacendini @George_Thompson   Thanks for the quick responses all - right clicking on the mosaic dataset and sharing worked.  So can someone describe if there is a compelling reason to configure image server as part of a multi-machine deployment of ArcGIS Server, rather than configuring it as a standalone server, and then just federating it with our existing Server / Portal?  It seems like the latter is more preferable, since you don't have to deal with shared config stores and arcgis server directories.  But don't know if there is a better reason to go with the former.  I've only configured multi-machine deployments of Server for high-availability and load balancing with two servers configured with the Server role, but that wouldn't seem to apply here because they are two separate roles (Image and Server).  

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

@Jay_Gregory , it depends what you want to do, or rather what you need Image Server to do. For us, it made sense to run ImageServer from our Federated Site because we are not asking Image Server to perform Image Analysis.  We're just using it to serve Image Services from Mosaic Datasets, and we want to be able to manage permissions from portal and for those services to collaborate over to our agol. 

If we were performing Image Analysis through Server, we would want the Image Server role on a dedicated site.  But even then, I would still Federate that site so tools could be run from both Portal and Pro, and not just from Pro.

Jay_Gregory

Seems like as long as you federate Image Server with your Portal, you can still manage permissions from Portal, and mosaic datasets published to image server still have their items appear in Portal because of that federation.  It's more of the issue of adding Image Server to your existing ArcGIS Server site, which I guess allows you to manage services from the same Server Manager and publish services to the same Federated / Hosting server url, but other than that I'm unclear on the benefits.  If they are added to the same ArcGIS Server site, actual raster processing would still occur on machine with Image Server correct?  It would not be taking up resources on your Server hosting map and feature services would it?  

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

Or do all servers that are part of an ArcGIS Server site need to be licensed with the same roles?  I probably can't have one server licensed as Image and one as Server and join them to the same site - they would both have to be licensed as Image.  

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Its more about what you have to have set up to do a workflow like this:

https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/calculate-landslide-risk-for-communities-affected-by-wildfires/

0 Kudos