Select to view content in your preferred language

Portal 10.8.1 install issues on Windows 2016 Server Standard

08-17-2020 07:27 PM
AaronBooterbaugh
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had issues installing Portal 10.8.1 on Windows Server 2016 Standard? I am having an issue where the Portal installer becomes unresponsive for so long that the OS will ask to Try Again or Cancel. I keep getting this message. Does anyone else see this same problem?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

I finally got this working by using the command prompt to install it. This first time used the command prompt it failed with the same "installer is no longer responding" error. The second time the command prompt install worked. The only difference was I added the parameter to set the install location. Instead of taking the default location I set the install location to c:\myportal and installing from the command prompt worked. 😕

0 Kudos
RichRobinson
New Contributor

I was having this same issue.  I resolved it with ESRI Technical Support's help by making sure to run the setup.exe file by right clicking on it and using the "Run as administrator" command.  Being logged in with an administrator account was not enough.

MarshallFlynn
New Contributor

This is interesting.  Others have same issue.  I have never had issues installing GIS Server or Portal before.  Upgrading to new hardware, so starting from scratch.  Remember it took forever to uninstall Portal on older hardware, so used command line for that and the new install on new hardware.  Used this: Documents\ArcGIS 10.8.1\PortalForArcGIS\SetupFiles>msiexec /i setup.msi /Lieux C:\temp\GISportal_install.log  Then it froze with MSI not responding.  Hit retry and finally started again.  Now it seems to have stopped at green bar at 65%.  The last 2 lines in log are:

Action ended 9:58:39: SetFIX_UNINSTALL. Return value 1.
Action start 9:58:39: InstallInitialize.

That was 20 minutes ago.  the only thing I can think that is different is our outsourced IT has installed BitDefender Endpoint Security, but ArcGIS Server installed (but slowly with the same retry popup) OK.  maybe there will be another retry popup I can hit.

MarshallFlynn_0-1616336598199.png

0 Kudos
ThibautDelaere2
New Contributor II

Did anyone found the cause or a solution?

I got the same issue. Upgrading from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1. Ends up with Portal missing folders.

Windows Server 2016 Standard, VMWare.

Also got the issue when removing and installing 10.8.1 (instead of upgrade)

Or can anyone confirm that 10.9 hasn't got this issue?

0 Kudos
ISSRWEB
New Contributor II

For Folks who are following this, 10.9 has the same issue. Upgrading from 10.7.1 to 10.9 eventually times out and fails on a VMWARE vm. Pretty ridiculous that ESRI cant fix their own installer.

0 Kudos