Pooling - number of instances for caching

07-19-2012 12:28 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm trying to cache a 10.1 map service that was created with the default 2 instances and then edited to 24.  I've restarted the service, and can see in both the web manager and the map service properties through ArcCatalog that the max number of instances is 24.  However, when I go to cache the service, the number can't be set to anything higher than 2.  When I change it I get an error that says "the number of instances available is less than the number of instances entered".  Ideas?  Bug?

Thanks,
John Shramek
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Found it:

"In ArcGIS 10.0 and previous versions, to increase the number of operating system processes working on a caching job, you increased the number of instances of the map or globe service being cached. Beginning at 10.1, you increase the number of instances of the CachingTools geoprocessing service instead."

http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Allocation_of_server_resources_to_cach...

I did it in the web manager, under Services -> System -> CachingTools -> Pooling
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III
i am having this same problem.. did you ever figure it out?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Nina,

Here's the updated link to the help topic resource that John's post was referring to,

Allocation of server resources to caching

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos