Oracle BLOB data extract from N_1_JTOPO

06-11-2020 12:49 AM
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Hi All,

Can you please advise if there's a way to extract coordinates from N_1_JTOPO table/PAGELOB field?

Can it be done somehow using ArcCatalog/ArcMap? Or there's simply an Oracle matter of extracting binary data (painful).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Daniel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Why are you trying to extract that BLOB field?

That looks to be part of a Geometric Network, Dataset system tables—Manage geodatabases in Oracle | Documentation , and is an ArcGIS system table.

Geodatabase

--- George T.
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Thanks George.

You are right, it's a Geo Network table.

The table has a blob field and I want to read it's information (junctions to edges connections).

Do you know if ArcCatalog, ArcMap or other tool can read this field and how?

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

The ArcGIS clients would not be able to "directly" read that field. That field is read behind the scenes by the client when using the Geometric Network (GN).

I would HIGHLY recommend not messing (modifying, updating, etc.) any of the Geometric network tables out side of the ArcGIS client. It could cause corruption within the table and hose your GDB.

I am not sure of another tool to read this field outside of the ArcGIS client.

What are you hoping to collect from this field?

Is there a current issue with the GN?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Thanks George. No harm can be done in this case. I only have a db backup from the customer and we are trying to analyze their network.

We are stuck at N_1_JTOPO/PAGELOB, hoping to get information about junctions and edges.

I thought ArcGis tools can interpret blob data and help us extract the data out.

0 Kudos
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Isn't it that ArcGis write this information into Oracle? How come ArcGis cannot read what it is writing?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Yes, ArcGIS is writing (an reading) this information to the tables under the hood. Think of these tables like the GDB or SDE tables in the enterprise geodatabase. They are there to help everything function correctly, but not to be "seen directly" in the ArcGIS clients.

I would only recommend using the ArcGIS client tools for collecting information on the GN. I have never heard of anyone wanting to read the blob field directly.

Is there an issue with their network that you are trying to analyze?

Are you using custom tools to interpret the network?

--- George T.
0 Kudos