On demand tiles are very slow

02-09-2015 09:18 AM
NikolasStevenson-Molnar
New Contributor

I'm trying to publish a large dataset (about 1GB as a shapefile) as a tiled service to a server running 10.2. It needs to be available for all zoom levels (0-19), but that would be too may tiles at the larger levels. So I'd like to pre-render levels 0-12, then cache the rest on demand. The first part, is no problem; I've published the service and successfully created the pre-rendered tiles. However, the on demand tiles are unacceptably slow, taking up to several minutes to return and/or returning empty responses. I've made sure the dataset has a spatial index and dynamic rendering is quite fast at that level.

I've previously had this dataset published on Server 10.0 and it worked fine with on demand tiles. I've also tried upgrading to Server 10.3. This fixed the issue with empty responses, but the response times are still unacceptably long. The pattern of responses is odd, too: some tiles will come back within 10 seconds, others will take up to a minute, and a few will take up to two minutes.

I know that on demand tiles require generating supertiles, but even given that, the on demand tiles are incredibly slow.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

_Nik

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I wouldn't give up on your "switching" line of thought.  I think you could do that by tricking it some with multiple services.  Caching the scales you need with the tile scales, then making the mxd basically a blank screen and turning off on-demand.  Then have a dynmic service, and have things shut off until you get to the scale you want to show.  That might not be the exact solution, but with a few tweaks you can probably get that to work for you.

It may confuse the ArcMap users a bit, but with decent instructions of which to use at certain scales, I'm sure it would be short term.

Also, remember for ArcMap users (with 10.3 if caching with 10.3 bundles), they can access the cache files direct, bypassing the service, if needed.  Of course, then the speed depends more on the network, etc.

0 Kudos