New to GIS server ... really ... what does it do?

07-19-2017 01:41 PM
SCBHelpdesk
New Contributor

We have a license for GIS Server Standard Basic, and to be honest. I have no idea what this actually gets me. I am currently migrating our SQL databases to a new server. From what I can tell, our existing GIS server never actually had server installed, it was just using SDE.

So, I installed Server Basic and got it authorized, it gave me a website with a "sample". However, I can't start the sample, because it says that it isn't licensed to do that.

So, what exactly does server basic do? and what can I do with it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

With Server Basic, essentially all it is used for is the SDE geodatabase if you are wanting to deploy a web mapping platform, you need to have at least Server Standard.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

To add to what Greg mentioned, SDE (Spatial Database Engine) originally started out as a standalone product but is now a component of ArcGIS Server.  So now you just install one product and use what you want of it.  But as Greg says, Server Basic is essentially what used to be marketed as SDE.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
SCBHelpdesk
New Contributor

But I saw reference that I think starting in v 9.x and up. SDE was included with Desktop, and like I said from what I can tell from our existing GIS/SQL box, server was never installed. So I really don't understand what I am getting for this purchase/maintenance. What can I do with the ArcGIS Server Manager if I can't host any web mapping? 

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-server-functionality-matrix.pdf 

Tells me that I can create and manage web service, support web making apps, and support smartphones and tablets.

With
Basic edition, you get geodatabase
management and the ability to publish
feature services for map visualization and query

Is this only with 3rd party products/add-ons?

0 Kudos
Greg_Mattis

So while yes you have the Database Server (Desktop) when you get ArcGIS Desktop Standard or Advanced, that is built on SQL Server Express and therefore has a 10GB database limit and 10 direct connection limit. This is very similar to the Server Workgroup licensing. While yes you can create web services, you can't use Portal and you it won't let you have people editing the data from the services that you publish. ArcGIS Server Basic is very limited which is why, when I worked for Esri I think I may have only sold one license of it in almost 3 years. In order to truly get the WebGIS model, you need Server Standard at a minimum.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

With regard to what ArcGIS Server Basic can do - please see the following URL about licensed functionality.

In addition to the Server Help, there's a great (albeit somewhat dated) ArcGIS for Server Functionality matrix that may assist with your question.

0 Kudos
Greg_Mattis

Hi Robert,

There is an updated Enterprise Functionality Matrix as well for Enterprise 10.5 and 10.5.1

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia