Move ArcGIS Server to new machine and licencing

Jump to solution
10-19-2016 10:48 PM
MarkHoyland
Occasional Contributor II

We are moving our ArcGIS server from in house to a cloud environment.

In terms of licencing, can I have both running at same time while testing and configuring the cloud environment. ie can the cloud environment be authorized while the in house is still running?

The in house server will then be decommissioned once the cloud environment is running.

thanks,

Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Please discuss this with your local Esri account manager/Distributor or contact Esri Customer Service 1 (888) 377-4575.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
MarkHoyland

Thanks Dan,I have seen the help, and know how to install, but it does not mention if I am able to authorize on a new machine while the other machine is still active.

Someone mentioned a need to pay for a 30 day licence while the transition is taking place.

So I am just questioning about the licence. Do I need to pay for a temporary licence, while migrating to a new server.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Mark,

Please discuss this with your local Esri account manager/Distributor or contact Esri Customer Service 1 (888) 377-4575.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To add to Derek's comment, also consider looking into an EDN license (ESRI Developer Network) which allows for testing and development (not production) on an annual basis (~1500/year, but licensed to ONE person). 

Esri Developer Network (EDN) 

However, as Derek mentioned, working with your account manager will help you find what is best for you specifics.

0 Kudos
MarkHoyland

Thanks Derek.

so... "Please discuss this with your local Esri account manager/Distributor or contact Esri Customer Service 1 (888) 377-4575." = Yes it will cost you.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Mark,

Your interpretation of my answer is not quite correct. I am honestly not sure, hence why I suggested you discuss with your local Esri account manager/Distributor.

Hope this helps,

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like a good topic for inclusion in the help file links I provided... Whether or whether not, this is possible or possible but costs.  That would be a useful inclusion.  If you follow up Derek pass this on to the docs folks

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Licensing is such a mixed bag and there are so many variations (i.e. education vs Feds vs non-US vs ELA v non-ELA-Master-Agreement, vs different government levels, vs private, just to name a few) that I think any definitive answer in a help doc would be impossible.    Licensing of one-server, vs multiple, vs. staging, vs EDN, makes it even more complex.  However, I've always found when talking to customer service, that they will work with you and suggest the least costly option for this time of thing, assuming you are a "customer in good standing", i.e. on maintenance.  

In our situation, we do only have one production machine, but have several EDN licenses that we use for testing, caching, etc.  The Production authorization by default only allows one activation, therefore, if it is allowed, it would require talking to your customer service rep (Esri account manager/distributor) anyway to authorize it on another machine . Typically they don't have "trial" or demo periods for Server software, but I'm talking as a customer only.

The EDN allows for multiple machines/authorizations, again for testing and development.  I have not tried is on the cloud, so not sure how all that goes.

So, as Derek mention, talk to your rep.  You'll never know unless you ask....and anything we users/customers say here re: licenses is really just opinion or our individual experiences....nothing official.  my 2-cents.

DerekLaw

Hi Dan,

I think the first paragraph in Rebecca's post sums nicely why it would be very challenging to document licensing in the help.

Thanks for the assist Rebecca!

0 Kudos