Mosaic Dataset as Map Service - Black and White tiles?

02-21-2013 11:14 AM
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Having an issue when I publish a mosaic dataset map service to server. When I zoom in past 1:2000, the imagery disappears and black and white check background shows? When I zoom in past 1:2000 in the actual mosaic dataset it works fine, just when viewing it in a map service, it won't show the imagery past 1:2000 (either cached or dynamic), see map service here:

http://203.190.214.166/arcgis/rest/services/Masterton/Imagery/MapServer?f=jsapi
Tags (2)
13 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
What happens if you export the paths to the images in your mosaic dataset to a table, and then add one of the images to ArcMap using the exact path from the table, and trying to publish that map as a service?  That should show if something isn't registered correctly or if there's a permission issue.  If you use the exact path and it publishes fine, then permissions aren't a problem.
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
From my experience, the checkerboard (I've always called it chessboard :)) look and feel is related to incomplete or incorrectly-created overviews (through no fault of yours).  To get around this, I used the Define Overviews GP tool and checked the box for Force Overviews.  This option generates overviews for all extents, ignoring raster pyramids of the source data during the process.  Try this on a subset of your data that you know has checkerboard issues to verify, but hopefully you'll have good luck with this approach.

Alternatively, there could be a difference in pixel depth among your various input source rasters.  Check the pixel depth (e.g., 1-bit, 8-bit, 16-bit, etc.) to see if you have a mixture.  I found this to be the case at one point in the past; I ended up forgoing the entire mosaic dataset approach and instead going with an unmanaged raster catalog stored in a file geodatabase.  You may need a mosaic dataset for your specific workflows, so this may be irrelevant to you.  If you don't, consider using an unmanaged raster catalog published as a map service (from an MXD not an MSD if using 10.0) as a workaround rather than a mosaic dataset as part of a map or image service.
0 Kudos
JenniferMcFarland
New Contributor III
Having an issue when I publish a mosaic dataset map service to server. When I zoom in past 1:2000, the imagery disappears and black and white check background shows? When I zoom in past 1:2000 in the actual mosaic dataset it works fine, just when viewing it in a map service, it won't show the imagery past 1:2000 (either cached or dynamic), see map service here:

http://203.190.214.166/arcgis/rest/services/Masterton/Imagery/MapServer?f=jsapi

Did this ever get resolved?  I am having the same issue.  It works on my 10.2 arc gis server but not my 10.2.1 arcgis server.
0 Kudos
ArbeyVillegas
New Contributor
Did this ever get resolved?  I am having the same issue.  It works on my 10.2 arc gis server but not my 10.2.1 arcgis server.

I found this http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00sq000000mr000000
0 Kudos