Labels of map service turn whitish on black background

Jump to solution
04-28-2017 02:44 AM
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello Friends,

I have created a simple map service with various point features (symbology= NoColor) with labels. This map service needs to be opened in a software with black background. But the labels are turning whitish (blurry).

I can also reproduce it in ArcMap with black background (when ImageFormat is PNG24 or PNG).

PNG24

The issue can be resolved in ArcMap by changing ImageFormat of the Map Service layer to PNG32 (Layer Properties > Advanced Tab).

PNG32

But in the other application that I have, I cannot change any ImageFormat property.

Fonts used for labeling is Ariel. No other effects have been used.

While publishing, I have kept the default anti-aliasing (Text Anti-aliasing = Forced). Is this going to have any effect on the behavior of the labels? Only Mapping capability is enabled. The map service is dynamic.

Is there any way I can have proper display of labels (Map Service) on black background for other ImageFormats as well?

I am using ArcGIS Desktop/Server 10.3.1.

Thanks in advance!!!

Think Location
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The only workaround I have come across, for viewing the labels properly on the other application, is to publish the map service with a black data-frame background.

Then the labels are displayed properly on an application with a black background.

Another workaround is the use of Halo effect in the labels.

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can I define the supportedImageFormatTypes parameter in the URL of the Map Service while calling it in any application?

Or if there is a way to restrict the supported image format types of an individual map service to PNG32 only?

Think Location
0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Try PNG 24 since many web browsers might not support PNG 32.jayanta.poddar

~Shan
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Shantonu, but the issue persists with PNG24 as well.

Using a Halo effect hides the whitish patch around the labels to some extent.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The only workaround I have come across, for viewing the labels properly on the other application, is to publish the map service with a black data-frame background.

Then the labels are displayed properly on an application with a black background.

Another workaround is the use of Halo effect in the labels.

Think Location
0 Kudos