Is it possible to publish a .mmpk to ArcGIS Enterprise Server?

08-17-2018 07:54 AM
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

I've successfully shared a .mmpk to AGO where users have been able to download it via Explorer for ArcGIS for offline use. That's great. What I'm wondering is, can we achieve that same functionality but host the .mmpk on our own enterprise server? Or is this one of those things like tracking layers that seem to only work as hosted layers on AGO? 

Please let me know if this question needs more clarification. I'm a little shaky on some of the terminology as well as some of the specifics of my organization's server set up.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you using an ArcGIS organization on your enterprise server (aka do you use Portal for ArcGIS as part of your ArcGIS Enterprise setup)? If so, yes, you can host the mmpk by adding it as an item and downloading it in Explorer. You'll share it just like you do with other content, or in ArcGIS Online. Here is info on sharing: Share items—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response, Kylie.
I'm not sure that I am explaining my problem correctly. I know how to publish map and feature services to our servers. I do it via ArcMap 10.4. In an .mxd I click files > Share as > Service.... and go from there. How would I follow this same process with the .mmpk? That's the crux of my question. As far as I know, a .mmpk can't exist as a layer in an .mxd's table of contents.

Similarly, I only know how to share items from AGO that are already 'in' AGO. That is content that is already being hosted on someone's server, either esri's our my organizations. I suppose I could share the .mmpk by having esri host it and then try to share it again from within AGO. As far as I know, though, at that point I'd only be controlling access to the file, I wouldn't be changing where its being served up from.
What am I missing?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Ahh sorry, I saw this in your post and thought you knew how to get an MMPK to ArcGIS Online:

I've successfully shared a .mmpk to AGO where users have been able to download it via Explorer for ArcGIS for offline use.

Take a look at the help on making offline maps (Make offline maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ) -- it includes a discussion about sharing (using the Pro geoprocessing tool "Share package" or by logging in and uploading the mmpk).

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

Kylie, I think we're still missing each other here. What I perhaps should have clarified in the sentence that you quoted above is that "I've successfully shared a .mmpk to AGO as a hosted item [...]". What I want to do, though, is host the .mmpk on our own server not as a hosted item on AGO. My starting point was using the Share Package geoprocessing tool in Pro to get my .mmpk hosted by esri and shared/accessed via AGO. Now I'm trying to figure out how to host the .mmpk internally.

I hope that is clear.

I am pretty familiar with the 'Make Offline Maps' document that you suggested; that is, in fact, largely how I got as far in to this process as I am. When I go back and look at the Share Package tool in Pro, however, I don't see any way to specify where the package is to be hosted. Seems like it defaults to esri. From that same doc I did follow the instructions found here forPortal for ArcGIS documentation. to 'Add files from your computer'. This process got my .mmpk up in AGO alright, but I still don't have any reliable way of determining where it is hosted!

Bottom Line: When I can look at an item in AGO, how can I tell from where those data are being served?

Thanks,

CP

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

My apologies -- I left out part of my reply that might have made it more clear! I had meant to clarify that you can share with either ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise using the Share package tool -- the one that is used depends on the account with which you are signed into ArcGIS Pro. Or you can log into your organization's portal (either ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise) and upload the MMPK file to it. So to share it internally, use your ArcGIS Enterprise instead of ArcGIS Online when using the Share tool.

You do need to use your ArcGIS organization (either on ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise): Explorer accesses MMPKs through ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Online (or through sideloading directly to the device).

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
ZecsQuébec1
New Contributor

Hi Charlie,

I've read you have been able to successfully create and publish multiple MMPK where people were able to search and download content.

I am actually trying to do the same thing here. I've uploaded a MMPK to my AGOL account, and share it with the public.

When on an Android or iOS device, the search function doesn't return the MMPK for download.

What I am missing here ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sebastien

0 Kudos