Installation of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8 on Azure using Cloud Builder fails

04-16-2020 05:18 AM
Lauenborg
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to install ArcGIS Enerprise 10.8 Single Tier Deployment using Cloud Builder, but it fails.

The installation fails after ~90mins with a timeout. I've read that this is an known issue that is solved by restarting the installation. However, after another 70mins another error occours (see attached image).

A quick look at the VM reveals that Portal, Server and Data Store seems to be installed and working, however the Portal and Server are not federated.

The internal URL (https://servername:7443/arcgis/home) works, but the Azure URL (https://mydomainname.location.cloudapp.azure.com/portal/home) does not. It returns "502 Bad Gateway". 

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what goes wrong. All my settings in the Cloud Builder is pretty 'standard', I would say, maybe except the settings regarding SSL certificate and domain names, which confuses me a bit.

Here is what I'm trying to achieve

In the end I want to access my Portal through subdomain.domain.com/portal/home and not mydomainname.location.cloudapp.azure.com/portal/home

Here is what I did

Before the installation I set up a CNAME mapping subdomain.domain.com to mydomainname.location.cloudapp.azure.com.

During the installation I attached a CA signed SSL star (*) certificate for my domain (*.domain.com).

In the Domain Name (Alias) text box in Cloud Builder I typed: mydomainname.location.cloudapp.azure.com.

Is this wrong? Do I need to provide subdomain.domain.com as Domain Name (Alias) and not the Azure URL?

Or could the failed installation be caused by something else?

Thanks,

Martin L. Hansen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TonyCollins
Occasional Contributor

Hi did you ever resolve this issue as I have just received the same?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lauenborg
New Contributor II

Hi Tony
No, not really. But I did come up with a workaround though.

I ended up installing Web Adaptors for both Portal and Server and did all the final configuration manually - both on ArcGIS Enterprise and in Azure. That ended up working.

Not sure if that helps you at all.

My best advice would be to avoid using the Cloud Builder and just installing everything manually step by step.

Cheers,

Martin L. Hansen

TonyCollins
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your quick response and I'm glad to hear you found a way to get 10.8 working in Azure!

Cloud Builder 10.7.1 Installed fine for me although I had issues wanting a custom domain like you mention in your original question!

I'd like to move to 10.8 which uses the new v2 deployment model (AppGateway) but I am not sure i'd be confident to do this all manually in Azure and I'd also worry about losing Esri support. I can't find any installation docs for installing manually in Azure so it seems Esri only support using Cloud Builder

I did actually get the installer to complete using the 'retry after timeout' method, but I still got the 502 Gateway error!

I am now contemplating installing 10.7.1, but I worry it's an older deployment pattern that will cause me upgrade problems later on! 

0 Kudos