How to download\extract the content (data) of map service layer in one go?

Jump to solution
09-02-2016 01:20 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

How to download\extract the content (data) of map service layer in one go?

I couldn’t get the best practice in how to download\extract the content of map service layers in one go. Most of server tools end up with errors

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
23 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

If the sublayer off a cached map service is a feature layer, you can still use the step I mentioned above.

In your screenshot, it looks like that is a raster/image layer. Map service does not have any operation accessing raw raster data.

You should check out image service.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Not sure why this should be easy with QGIS, for example, as shown in the screenshot below. For me, I don’t prefer to other software to perform some actions while all our deployed system is esri based.

Jamal Numan
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

I never tried it from QGIS.
But I'd say no - it is a not a client side issue, it is map services that don't provide any option for client to download source-data from a raster layer.

What you would get out of QGIS is most likely a picture (png) of the raster layer, not the original raster data. That is why you should use 'image service'. I'm not an image service expert, but my understand is that it would allow you to access the source raster data.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This is one of the issues that we have been struggling with our App users. They really need some decent, generic and straightforward tool by which one can download data from services (all types of services!) with no headache or issues. This has been a dream for everyone. Never come true yet!

Jamal Numan