How to configure Esri's System Designer to work with a SQL Server Express DB

03-25-2016 07:27 AM
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

I am using Esri's System Designer to design my organization's enterprise GIS.  However, when launching the program and attempting to configure a SQL Server Express DB, I receive the error shown below.  What is the correct way to configure a DB to work with SQL Server Express?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Geoffrey,

I think you might have the instance name incorrect. Is that what you use to connect in SQL Server Management Studio?

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

I had a hunch that I was doing something incorrect with the host and

instance; I was hoping to just work locally from SQL Server Express. Is

this possible, or do I need an enterprise DB setup?

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Geoffrey,

I have not used this utility before. I believe you should be able to use the SQL Server Express. If you connect to the instance in SQL Server Management Studio you should see the Instance name in the top left of the object explorer window.

Should be something like MACHINENAME\SQLEXPRESS. Normally that would be the default setup for an express instance. You would just have to change the Machinename to match the server you installed SQL Server Express on.

It also looks like there is an email alias for questions about system designer. systemdesigner@esri.com

I got this information from the following link. https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8ff490eef2794f428bde25b561226bda

Hopefully that helps. Maybe other people will chime in about this particular System Designer utility you are using.

Thanks,
Sam

0 Kudos