Select to view content in your preferred language

Geodatabase 11.x Support for Geometric Network

06-10-2024 08:32 AM
MattFancher1
New Contributor III

Has anyone upgraded their geodatabase to 11.x that is still editing a Geometric Network from ArcMap?

I think that's supported if we stay SQL Server 2019 or lower.

Thanks in advance for any input!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MattFancher1 The general compatibility is discussed in the thread: Mixed use of ArcMap 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.x

You may also refer to ArcMap Client and geodatabase compatibility

"You do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release, but it is recommended that you do so. Geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior."

Given the imminent ArcMap deprecation as well as taking advantage of newer capabilities, recommend transitioning to ArcGIS Pro and Utility Network. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Regular Contributor

Several years ago we moved our geometric network data to a seperate geodatabase and have deliberately kept that geodatabase at the same release level as ArcMap 10.8. That said, I have started encountering odd behavior in ArcMap when trying to edit our geometric networks.

Ayan is correct that with the coming deprecation of ArcMap, organizations like us will either have to migrate to Utility Networks or basic feature classes (at the lost of network functionality). I mention both options because moving to a Utility Network is not a simple task. Even if you wrap your head around how your data fits into a Utility Network there is still the hurdle of data cleanup and transformations to make the move possible.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos