Geodata Service for Large Enterprise Geodatabase

01-23-2013 07:15 PM
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II
I am working with a 10.1 SDE geodatabase that contains hundreds of tables, feature classes, and mosaic datasets.

This geodatabase has been successfully registered with ArcGIS Server (10.1).

Now I am trying to create a Geodata Service (in ArcCatalog) using the same SDE connection file that was used when the geodatabase was registered with ArcGIS Server, but the whole process grinds to a halt with no sign of progress during the Analyze/Publish step.

My hope is that it will eventually finish if I leave ArcCatalog running (~1hr in at the time of this post), but what I'd like to know is what is causing this process to take so incredibly long and whether or not there is any to speed it up.

On a related note, I also tried the "Stage Service" Geoprocessing Tool to try creating an SD file using an SD-Draft.  This approach appears to suffer from the same performance problem as the Publish Service wizard.

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II
YES, we're having the same problem.  We have large Enterprise GDB.  Registering the geodata service takes hours.  Is there another way to get the service registered without waiting?  This is a MAJOR problem.  Thanks!

I am working with a 10.1 SDE geodatabase that contains hundreds of tables, feature classes, and mosaic datasets.

This geodatabase has been successfully registered with ArcGIS Server (10.1).

Now I am trying to create a Geodata Service (in ArcCatalog) using the same SDE connection file that was used when the geodatabase was registered with ArcGIS Server, but the whole process grinds to a halt with no sign of progress during the Analyze/Publish step.

My hope is that it will eventually finish if I leave ArcCatalog running (~1hr in at the time of this post), but what I'd like to know is what is causing this process to take so incredibly long and whether or not there is any to speed it up.

On a related note, I also tried the "Stage Service" Geoprocessing Tool to try creating an SD file using an SD-Draft.  This approach appears to suffer from the same performance problem as the Publish Service wizard.

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue?
0 Kudos
SebastienPelletier
Occasional Contributor
I also have the same problem. After 45 minutes I managed to publish a Geodata Service. By comparison the same action took 2 min in version 10.0

In addition, if I add security via Windows Domain publishing process ends with the message "Failed to publish service" 🙂

Wow, I love the version 10.1
0 Kudos