Select to view content in your preferred language

Custom Print Service fails to Print "Failed to create layer from service at "<Service_URL>" for Hosted Server

08-12-2023 11:17 PM
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

We are working with a custom Print service created from ArcGIS Pro to allow printing of Secured service from different Servers. However, we encounter the issue when trying to print the secured services from the ArcGIS Server which on which the service is published.

We have configured the Print Service by following this "HOW TO" article and it works well with other server services.

As soon as I remove the service from that server everything work smoothly with any issues. We have tried several things, it still fails. Furthermore, if the service is created from ArcMap and then published everything works as expected.

We have also installed Print service patches for this version.

Environment details:

• ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1
  • All components are installed on one machine except Web Adaptor

It would be great if I can some thoughts on this.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@ArchitSrivastava 

for most of the case, you'd not need to embed credentials with a print service to allow print secured services. Please read this help topic.
https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/linux/printing-maps-that-contain-sec... 

Pls let us know if you are in one of those situation where you must follow this approach. We had a bug in 10.8.1 that prevent print service from accessing secured services.

ArchitSrivastava

Hello @TanuHoque,

Hope you are keeping safe and well. Thanks for responding to this. I have embedded credentials because we utilize services in our Web Maps/Apps from several different servers and that too from different organization which are secured

Hence, to allow our users to be able to print those services utilizing our custom templates. We utilized this method:

Print maps that contain non-token-based secured services from ArcGIS Server 

We have made sure of the following as well:

• ArcGIS Server can access these files from a registered path
  • All connections are "ArcGIS Server User Connections"
  • The tool works fine on ArcGIS Pro

Furthermore, We ran a check on BUGs and have installed the following patches (After that the service created from ArcMap Started working):

The cause behind working on this is that we would like to move away from "ArcMap and components created from it" and prepare for an upgrade to latest version of ArcGIS Enterprise.

Note: This service can print secured service from all other server embedded in the script except the services from it's own "Hosting Server". 

Hopefully I addressed the answers you were looking for. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

I ran into the same issue, this is a known bug with Pro 3.1 and Server 10.8.1 (we were using 10.7.1), I needed to upgrade to Server 11.1.1 and the bug is fixed, because when creating the widget there is an application ID that is apart of the ArcGIS Pro, but it is not apart of the earlier versions of server, so it error's out when you try to publish.  Once you upgrade make sure to clear you browser cache as well.  Thank you.

David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey just further to what ChadKopplin said the following documentation is pretty useful for judging what version of ArcGIS Pro to pair with ArcGIS Server or Enterprise.

Enterprise 11 and ArcGIS Pro 3 were both major updates so mixing either of these with Enterprise 10.x or ArcGIS Pro 2.x can have some compatibility issues if tool parameters are different.

Hope that helps,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava

Hello @David_McRitchie , @ChadKopplin ,

Thanks for your valuable comments. I understand the compatibility point. Hence, We have tried several versions of ArcGIS Pro by for following the information mentioned in the document below:

ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise compatibility 

We tried ArcGIS Pro 2.6 with our environment and it gives the same errors (allows us to publish but fails to print the layers). Probably, I can try other versions of ArcGIS Pro which are compatible with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 and check the behavior. 

I am considering upgrading as a possible option but it is a risk at the moment i.e., if I upgrade and things don't work out, It would cause an impact on user workflow.

Thanks a lot for suggestions. I will keep you guys posted as I make progress.

-Archit

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Good morning Archit, I had the same concerns.  I will say that the upgrade went very smoothly, our only issue was that I needed to republish our image server services.  The portal, portal web adaptor, server, server web adaptor, and data store upgrades upgraded with no issues.  Our GIS server is upgraded nightly so we would have been able to restore the server quickly if an issue would have happened.  Thank you.

ArchitSrivastava

Thanks @ChadKopplin.

These comments are really helpful. As per both our experiences the upgrades should go smoothly without any issues.

However, upgrading to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 would discontinue the usage of ArcMap service. Hence, I am thinking of going to 10.9.1 first and see if everything works out and I will also have a fallback service from ArcMap (in case something goes out of expectation).

I will keep you posted if I successfully solve this by upgrading the system.

Thanks for all the valuable comments @ChadKopplin @TanuHoque @David_McRitchie. Much appreciated.

-Archit 

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@ArchitSrivastava 

We have just released the patch. Please apply this to you 10.8.1 server and that should resolve your issues.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-map-and-feature-service-security-2... 

ArchitSrivastava

Hello @TanuHoque,

Thanks for sharing this. I tried this on our ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1. However, sadly the problem still persists with printing services from Hosting Server. It perfectly works if the map contain other ArcGIS Servers.

In order to further troubleshoot the issue I created a separate environment of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 in a different domain with similar configuration i.e. One machine where all components are installed and other where only Web Adaptors are configured and the problem persists on this as well.

This drives me to think that the problem could be with architecture configuration of this type but not too sure as of now.

Additionally, I am attaching the script for your reference perhaps I have missed something here.

Note: I have tried with registered paths as well. A similar folder exists on ArcGIS Server machines as well (from where .ags files are being refereed.)

I am working on troubleshooting this further. I will keep you posted with progress.

-Archit

0 Kudos